They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Playback Speed Question

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Playback Speed Question

Postby Chainsaw_Willie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:49 pm

I know that I can speed up or slow down an entire clip, but is there any way to smoothly slow or speed up a section within a clip?

Specifically, what I'm trying to achieve:

Clip begins with a still frame then motion begins slowly and evenly speeds up until it is at 100% speed.

Kind of like keyframing the speed of a clip.

I think my biggest problem with this stuff is that I don't know the right terminology to use to find what I want - like I had no idea that "keyframing" controlled zooming/panning within still images...

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
Chainsaw_Willie
New User
New User

Re: Playback Speed Question

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:26 am

(Caveat - I am a PPro user not a PrEl user).

I think that I can see the effect that you are looking for but I can't think of a way of doing in in Elements other than keyframing the speed changes as you mentioned. But someone else who is an Elements user may chime in with an easier way to achieve the effect. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:59 am

I agree with John. I asked this same question a while back. I basically wanted to change the speed gradually instead of going instantly from one speed to another. The concensus was that making the changes manually was the only way to accomplish this, which could end up being pretty tedious if you have much of it to do. I've never even figured out a way to keyframe the process in Premiere Elements. The way I do it is to slice the clip into sections and make each adjoining section a little faster or slower than the previous. If anyone has a good way to do it differently I'd be interested too.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:10 am

This is easy to do in Premiere Pro using time remapping. That function does not exist in Premiere Elements. RJ Johnston has used the echo effect to do something similar to time remapping. See this thread: http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4018
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:30 am

Good find Bob. I remember seeing this from RJ, but to me it just looks like the manual process that I describe above (splitting into smaller clips and giving each a different speed). I don't see any "echo effect" in the clip properties. Could you explain a little about what you meant by echo effect?

Edit: I know PrEl has an echo effect but it hasn't been applied to RJ's clip. I don't understand how it applies here.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:53 am

The sample video used the echo effect but the sample project file did not. It basically just subdivides the clip and adjusts the time stretch values as you said. RJ did give more details for using the echo effect in another post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2769&p=23220#p23220

You don't subdivide the clip, just keyframe the echo time keeping the other settings constant.

Maybe RJ will drop in and comment.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:56 am

Got it. Thanks Bob.

Dave McElderry

Return to PRE Version 9