They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Best File Format (codec) for editting HD Video (windows)

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Best File Format (codec) for editting HD Video (windows)

Postby motoed » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:53 pm

I have a DSLR that records H.264, MOV files (currently recorded 720p 24 frame (23.98))

I'm using PremiereElements 9 (windows) and have been editing away my first project. I hit some memory hiccups and went to the web for advice. I was watching AdoramaTV on their episode on HDSLR post production and saw another photographer that is doing video.. and they convert to Apple ProRes for their clips before editing.

I was going to try to do this with my clips to see if it put some of my memory hiccups at ease but of course, this looks like it's probably an Apple only codec.

Does anyone convert their footage before editing DSLR videos?
What codec is a good edit codec on the PC?
motoed
New User
New User

Re: Best File Format (codec) for editting HD Video (windows)

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi, motoed. Welcome to Muvipix!

You shouldn't have to convert your DSLR video if you've selected the proper project preset. Have a look at part 1 of our 8-part Basic Training for Premiere Elements tutorials and it will show you how to do that.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

Premiere Elements 9 has a specific project preset for DSLR 720 24p. Give it a test drive. Load your video into it and see if, when you add it to your timeline, there are no red lines above the clips -- a sign that video and project settings are a perfect match.

There are some advantages to converting your video to a DV-AVI. But this would also convert your video to standard resolution 720x480. Easier to work with -- but with some loss of detail. So whether or not the trade is worth is depends on how you plan to output your movie.

If you're planning to put your video on the web or even onto a DVD, it probably doesn't make much difference. If you're planning to use your video on a BluRay disc, you may want to keep it high-def.

What are you plans? And are you working on a PC or Mac?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Best File Format (codec) for editting HD Video (windows)

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:45 pm

He is on a PC Steve
I'm using PremiereElements 9 (windows)

What are your computer specs? Editing High Definition AVCHD video is a very intensive process.
That's probably one of the reasons for converting, that will help. For Premiere Elements you are best off converting to HDV MPEG, m2t file format. But with the right computer specs you shouldn't have to convert at all. 4gb of RAM and a quad core processor and you shouldn't have any trouble really.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9