They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Project Presets

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Project Presets

Postby Ted » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:25 pm

Hello all,

Okay, so I've reached pg. 26 of Steve's PrEl 9 book (yes, I'm taking my sweet time! LOL), and I'm wondering... how would I go about finding the best preset for my Canon Vixia HFS10.

For example, I'm not sure if my camcorder shoots square pixel or non-square pixel.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. :)
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Project Presets

Postby Paul LS » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:03 am

Well the project preset needs to match the shooting mode you have selected for your camcorder for both video and audio. For example the capture format could be standard definition (probably MPEG2 for your camcorder) or high definition (probably AVCHD in high definition mode), audio format (stereo or 5,1 surround sound). If you are using high definition then I believe your camcorder shoots 1920x1080 in stereo so this would be the "Full AVCHD" project preset as opposed to "AVCHD" which would be 1440x1080 (with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.33) project preset. And you do NOT want the 5.1 audio project preset.
The other thing is does it capture progressive or interlaced footage, you would need to check the camcorder specs.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ted » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:13 am

Paul LS wrote:Well the project preset needs to match the shooting mode you have selected for your camcorder for both video and audio. For example the capture format could be standard definition (probably MPEG2 for your camcorder) or high definition (probably AVCHD in high definition mode), audio format (stereo or 5,1 surround sound). If you are using high definition then I believe your camcorder shoots 1920x1080 in stereo so this would be the "Full AVCHD" project preset as opposed to "AVCHD" which would be 1440x1080 (with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.33) project preset. And you do NOT want the 5.1 audio project preset.
The other thing is does it capture progressive or interlaced footage, you would need to check the camcorder specs.

Okay, Paul...thanks very much for your help.

I'll take a look at the manual to determine if it's progressive or interlaced. :)

Much appreciated!
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ted » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:29 am

Okay, I found the Canon website with my unit's specs.

Am I to guess that since it says "progressive" (60i) that would be square pixels and not non-square pixels?

I looked it up online "square pixels vs. non-square pixels" and noticed it talked mostly about PAR and After Effects, so I couldn't find much regarding digital videography. However, perhaps I didn't look hard enough. :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:35 am

If this cam shoots 1920x1080, Ted, it's shooting in square pixels. If it shoots in 1440x1080, it's shooting the same video resolution in non-square pixels.

The words "progressive" and "60i" are contradictory though. 60i means 60 interlaced frames (30 fps).

It's most likely that this camcorder shoots in 60i, and that its video will work perfectly in Premiere Elements using the Full HD AVCHD Stereo project preset, as Paul indicated.

Remember that the easiest way to test your project settings is to put your video on the timeline. If there's no red line above the clips, your settings are ideal!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:49 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:If this cam shoots 1920x1080, Ted, it's shooting in square pixels. If it shoots in 1440x1080, it's shooting the same video resolution in non-square pixels.

The words "progressive" and "60i" are contradictory though. 60i means 60 interlaced frames (30 fps).

It's most likely that this camcorder shoots in 60i, and that its video will work perfectly in Premiere Elements using the Full HD AVCHD Stereo project preset, as Paul indicated.

Remember that the easiest way to test your project settings is to put your video on the timeline. If there's no red line above the clips, your settings are ideal!

Thanks for chiming in, Steve! :)

I saw this on the specs page:

Image and since I saw 60i and then "Progressive" next to it, I figured it was the same...but perhaps it's showing that it can do either/or?

That's a good tip about the red line. I thought I read in your book that the red line means that it needs to be rendered and for me to hit "Enter"? I've been doing that so I hope I'm not doing anything wrong!
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:51 am

No, you're doing the right thing, Ted. You should render as you add effects and transitions to your clips.

But, when you first add a clip to your timeline, the presence or absence of that red line can indicate if your project settings match your source footage.

Hope that didn't confuse you.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:31 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:No, you're doing the right thing, Ted. You should render as you add effects and transitions to your clips.

But, when you first add a clip to your timeline, the presence or absence of that red line can indicate if your project settings match your source footage.

Hope that didn't confuse you.

You didn't confuse me at all, Steve. Perfect explanation. :)

As soon as I get home, I'll make note of this. :)

I sometimes wish your book came in binder-format so I can put it in a binder and add notes, etc. :)

:tx:
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to PRE Version 9