They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Splitting long clips

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Splitting long clips

Postby mlynch1958 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 am

I have two long interviews that I want to edit, along with photos, narration and music, into a video biography. I've imported them into my Project, split the clips into logical segments, but I am unable to move those "split clips" around. I just seem to be able to either drag them backward and forward, covering up other portions of the video Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to edit the original clip into separate pieces to be able to move the pieces around discreetly? I thought that was the whole point of "editing" software. I guess I'm just a confused and frustrated newbie. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
mlynch1958
New User
New User

Re: Splitting long clips

Postby Wheat King » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:19 am

Hi mlynch welcome to muvipix! Are you using sceneline view or timeline? If I understand correctly you attempting to reorder some clips and not extend? What I usually do is I will temporarily drag Clip A up to track 2 move CLip b on track one into position and then move Clip A back down into position on track 1. You can split long clips by using the razor tool. which will allow you to manage smaller clips. Is this what you're looking to do?
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:29 pm

You can also accomplish other ways of moving clips if you hold down the Ctrl key while you move them.
Moving clips on the timeline gets to be a little tricky, we have tutorials about how that works.
Please check out all of our free tutorials starting with the Basic Training Series by Steve Grisetti :)

Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:14 pm

You can see the Basic Training tutorials by going to our products page and typing "Basic Training" in the product search box.

And, as Chuck said, they're FREE!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9