They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Importing a Portion of a DVD only??

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Importing a Portion of a DVD only??

Postby motoed » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:22 am

I have a project I'm working on... I have about a dozen DVDs. Each DVD I need about a few minutes from (they are full length DVD home movies).

I have tried to input only a snippet of each DVD and I can't find a way to do this in Premiere Elements 9. I could swear that I used to be able to do this in a previous version but I can not find that option anywhere. I see where I can inport a single VOB file, but I don't need entire chapters... and some of the chapters are rather long and only need a short segment of it.

And I really don't want to import every single DVD and chew up needless hard drive space and time!

Please tell me this is still possible... I'd resorted to using a different app and computer to capture segments, but I'd be sooo much easier to use my main PC and this app to just do it quickly and conveniently.

Ed
motoed
New User
New User

Re: Importing a Portion of a DVD only??

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:26 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Ed!

The only way it's possible is if you capture the video over a DV bridge, like the Pyro AV Link, or use a camcorder that supports pass-through.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

If you have a miniDV camcorder that lets you record (most newer ones don't, unfortunately) you can also port your DVD player into the cam's AV inputs and then record the segments you want to tape -- then just capture from the camcorder!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Importing a Portion of a DVD only??

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:06 am

It isn't very hard to bring in the whole DVD and then edit out what you don't want, but using a Digital Converter is the easiest as Steve mentioned.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9