They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Rendering

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Rendering

Postby Chris R » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:09 pm

Sir--

I try to render often to ease up the strain on my iMac i5. For reasons that I can not figure out, sometimes this process takes just a few minutes, and the counter shows a few hundred items, and other times it takes an hour or more and the counter shows upwards of 60,000 items. And I do not have that many pictures in this project. Also, when the counter starts off in those high numbers there is a better than even chance that Adobe will crash before it gets finished.

Finally, after I render I save the project. Sometimes for the day. However, the next time I open Premiere there is a good chance that it will show the red lines that indicate the project needs to be rendered again.

There seems to be an emphasis on re-rendering with titles and transitions. The pictures were taken with a Panasonic and most have been reduced to 1000x750 (I missed a few early on) and the video clips are taken with a Panasonic camcorder PVGS 5000, imported from the tape via Premiere. There are also a few .mp4 clips that do not seem to give me any trouble.

Is this normal or am I doing something else wrong here?

Thank you
Chris Reich
Chris R
New User
New User

Re: Rendering

Postby Gerlinde » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi Chris,
I'm not sure I can help you a lot, since I'm a PC person. How big is your project? Sometimes it helps to work in smaller batches and then combine all your footage at the end in a new project for the final output. Especially if you work with a mixed bag of footage imported from tape, pictures and mp4 files.
I found a threat on the Adobe forum, that seem to have some similarity with your issue regarding rendering not sticking after closing and reopening a project: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/805588?tstart=60.
Maybe that will give you some ideas.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:52 am

I think Gerlinde has called it, Chris! Working with a mix of MP4s and slides can make your rendering time vary greatly!

What is the source of these MP4s? Are they from a camcorder? If they're from a Flip cam or AVCHD camcorder, you must ensure your project is set up for that video format or it won't perform well. Setting up your project correctly can greatly reduce the amount of video you need to render.

However, most MP4s are hi-def video -- and that can add significantly to how long it takes to render a segment!

Can you tell us more about the source of your video and which project settings you're using?

As for your problem with the program "forgetting" that it rendered segments -- yeah, that's one of those bugs in the program. And it drives a lot of a crazy.

But setting up your project can at least minimize the problem.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chris R » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:31 am

Thank you for the replies. First, I do not use an external hard drive for any of these projects. I made that mistake with Corel and Cyberlink some years ago and learned that lesson. Second, the .mp4s are a mixture. Some are recorded clips from a Panasonic DMC-TZ3, or one of my other Panasonic cameras. Some are converted You Tube clips at the .254 format. The original project format is what was recommended in the Muvipix book.

I have realized that I tend to use the timeline like a storyboard to lay out clips, edit them into smaller parts, and move things around. And if I render without deleting things it takes forever. I have also tried to move the 2 bars up in the time area that seem to indicate an active area and that helps some.

Too bad about the forgetting part. Highly irritating.

Thank you
Chris Reich
Chris R
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 9