They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Preferred resolution for image in PE 9

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Re: Preferred resolution for image in PE 9

Postby Ted » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:47 pm

Cheryl, thanks for the website. I bookmarked it for future reference. That's VERY handy. :)

Dave and Bob, thanks for the explanation regarding resolution. I'm still a bit confused (not hard to do), but I think I just need to play around with the program and graphics to see what I can do. :)
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ted » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Okay, well I changed the dimensions of the image as per Cheryl's suggestion, but now there's a black space going all the way around the video. :(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPyx4g2kBPc[/youtube]

Also, it's only at 360 resolution. I'm using the same preset as before, so I'm unsure why this would be.
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:10 pm

As Bob said, you need to stop thinking in terms of resolution and start thinking in pixels. You've got the right aspect ratio, you just need more pixels. In PE you can either resize your graphic to 1920x1080 pixels, or you can create a new one from scratch with those dimensions (which would give you the best quality). An alternative would be to use Scale in PRE to increase the size to full screen.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ted » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:As Bob said, you need to stop thinking in terms of resolution and start thinking in pixels. You've got the right aspect ratio, you just need more pixels. In PE you can either resize your graphic to 1920x1080 pixels, or you can create a new one from scratch with those dimensions (which would give you the best quality). An alternative would be to use Scale in PRE to increase the size to full screen.

Hi Dave, thanks for taking time to help me out. :)

Ah! I think I understand. I think your idea to start from scratch is my best bet. I think I took Cheryl's recommended size too literally.

Two follow-up questions, please:

1. Is that the reason even the video has the smaller rectangle surrounded by black?

2. Is that the reason that the highest resolution available 360 (on YouTube)?

Again, you have my thanks!
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Ted, I wasn't aware that you were having trouble with your video. I thought that the only problem you had was with the opening title. It looks fine on YouTube. Regarding your question about uploading in HD to YouTube, I'll have to defer to someone else. I've never done it myself. I can tell you that I'm able to choose up to 480p and I think it looks pretty doggone good as is.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ted » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Ted, I wasn't aware that you were having trouble with your video. I thought that the only problem you had was with the opening title. It looks fine on YouTube. Regarding your question about uploading in HD to YouTube, I'll have to defer to someone else. I've never done it myself. I can tell you that I'm able to choose up to 480p and I think it looks pretty doggone good as is.

Thanks very much, Dave. :)

For some reason, when I look at it, it only opts 380. I wonder if it's on my end.

Edit: Now this is strange! Now the picture and video fill up the screen. A mystery.
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:25 am

Ted, does the opening graphic fill the screen in PrEl monitor? One way to look at video editors is that they only read the number of pixels across and down. Forget about dpi.

I have an older version of PrEl and can not help directly with UT settings. However, here are my settings for output in PrPro that I use for Vimeo. You can open up the advanced settings in PrEl and compare the numbers. The HD setting is not the full HD. In my older version of PrEl 3 there wasn't an option to deinterlace and I do not know if the new versions deinterlace in output. In Pro there is a checkbox on the output monitor window.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Ted » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:18 am

Cheryl, thanks so much for taking time to include screen shots. :) I appreciate that. When I get home, I'll look to see if PrEl 9 has anything that resembles that.

I think I'm beginning to understand the difference between photo resolution and video resolution. As somebody said earlier: it doesn't really matter what the dpi of the image is, it's the size that counts.

To answer your question, yes - the image covered the whole monitor tab screen.

Now when I run the video, it fills the screen just fine. When I FIRST uploaded it to YouTube, it displayed much smaller. Perhaps it takes time to "fix itself"?
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:44 am

Ted wrote:

Now when I run the video, it fills the screen just fine. When I FIRST uploaded it to YouTube, it displayed much smaller. Perhaps it takes time to "fix itself"?

That would be nice if it was on UT's end. The first thing to check are your output dimensions in the advanced settings. With PrPro there is an output monitor in the encoder and you can see right away what the file will look like...nice feature.

What version of PrEl are you using? Maybe someone with that version can answer the deinterlaced question.

I primarily use 2 pass encoding, VBR, which does give a better looking file. Bumping up the bitrate helps too, but have to be careful not too much because it will increase your file size.

What was your file size for your last upload and how many minutes long? I will compare that with a few of my files.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Ted » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:59 am

Hi Cheryl, thanks for sticking with me on this. :)

I'm at work, but from memory, I believe the file was 64 or 65 MB (does that sound about right?) I believe the time was just over five minutes.

I'm using Premiere Elements 9. I don't think I'm even in the league of Pro! ;)

That other stuff you mention: VBR, two passes, etc... that's all Greek to me! ;)

Hmm, maybe I should just try Windows Movie Maker? ;)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Ted wrote:
That other stuff you mention: VBR, two passes, etc... that's all Greek to me! ;)

It was to me too at one time, but easy to grasp once you see the cause & effect with the settings. Once we get your settings optimal then you can save as a preset.

What is your project setting (the preset that you used)? widescreen or HD? AND..do you want to upload widescreen which is standard definition and can be encoded from HD or standard. Or...are you working in HD and want to upload HD?

Here are some of my file numbers:
NTSC standard - 80mb for 3:35 minutes
NTSC widescreen - 133 mb for 3:31 minutes
NTSC 1080i - 78 mb for 2:03 minutes

Can you post some screen shots of the Export box? That way I can see the dialog box. If anyone has PrEl9 and wants to jump in and maybe we can help get the settings correct.

Before going back to Windows Movie Maker I would give the settings in PrEl a try. And if I didn't have PrPro I think my choice would be Quicktime Pro for $30.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Ted » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks for being patient, Cheryl. :)

Here's the preset I used: NTSC - AVCHD Full HD 1080i 30

I think for these videos (tutorials and such) that will go on YouTube, I don't think I'd need HD, right? I think SD would be sufficient.

When I get home, I'll try to post screenshots of the export box, once I figure out how to access it. Normally, I just use the "Share" tab. However, when I do, I do see information such as file location, encoding, etc. Would that be it?
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Here is the info on PrEl and the first paragraph shows the navigation.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereele ... 38950.html

I looked up UT's specs and it states to have your file dimensions close to what your original source video and that HD is better.

My dimensions are based on Vimeo's recommendations.

I would try the HD route first. I just did a quick export test and looks like the settings for HD or widescreen have about the same file size.

Run a few tests and only export a short 30 sec segment using the Work Area Bar to define that area and there should be an option to export Work Area Bar only.

When you open up the dialog box look to see if you have h.264 option. If so, try a few tests changing the numbers to match mine for HD.

If not, go the share to UT preset route and then open up its advanced settings. Change to VBR and up a the bitrate parameters.

Make notes on what you changed. I usually call it Test 1, Test 2, etc. When you have one that you like, create a preset for future use. Your file size of 65mb for 5 minutes sounds too small and upping the bitrate should help with the quality. There is still the issue of deinterlacing.

I am stabbing around in the dark here since I do not have PrEl9 so thanks for sticking with me. :)
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Ted » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Nono, thank YOU for taking the time to help me out. :) I appreciate it immensely. :)

I definitely recall the option to export the Work Bar Area only! :) (I'm pleased with myself that something sounds familiar. ;) ) I'll figure out how to select just a portion of the Work Bar Area. I'm sure it's in Steve's book!

I also recognize h.264. Two for two. :-5

I'll try your suggestions. Again, thanks for not giving up on me, Cheryl. :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:39 pm

Good news! h.264 is showing. And very good on remembering the work area bar. I am sure it is in Steve's book.

Don't thank me yet...we have to get you a good preset first! :mrgreen:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 9