They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Removing Hiss

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Removing Hiss

Postby ajthewonderdog » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm sorry if there is already a similar question posted, but I couldn't find it.

I shot a video with new wireless mics, but there is a hiss that has crept into the audio track. I've tried using the denoiser, but not with much success. How can I get rid of the hiss without making the speaker sound like he is in a tube?

Thanks.
ajthewonderdog
New User
New User

Re: Removing Hiss

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi AJ, Audio is one of the hardest things to clean up after the fact.
That is why we always stress getting the audio correct before recording rather than after.

You can try the Dynamic Effect, that has a limiter and gate that may help you.
You can also try to eliminate the noise with Audacity, it is a free 3rd party program.
There are instructions on removing noise with Audacity here
http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/sou ... _11-05.htm
It is from 2005 but still applies.

If you could attach or link to a small clip of the audio it would help us better.

I'm sure you will get other suggestions from the folks here, they are always more than willing to help :)

Welcome to Muvipix :wcm:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby roadsideron » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:09 pm

I use a VHF wireless lapel mic that is notorious for background hiss. I was exporting the audio then cleaning it up with Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 10 and 11. It works wonders at removing the hiss and leaving the audio alone. I have to use my videos in a classroom and they have to use headsets. You can really hear the hiss with headsets so I had to fix it. My latest video was put together with Magix Movie edit pro and has the audio clean up tool right in the editing software which was really a blessing for me. I just cleaned up the audio right on the timeline in a couple of seconds. I've found that Elements doesn't do a good job and it has to be done with a third party software. I have Audacity but never got around to using it because I have the Magix stuff. It should work, though.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:55 am

As Chuck says, Audacity should do the job, or at worst make a noticable improvement. And welcome to Muvipix. :wcm:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby ajthewonderdog » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:27 am

Thanks!

I'm downloading the Magix trial now. We'll see if this works.
ajthewonderdog
New User
New User

Postby roadsideron » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:10 am

Okay, here's what you should do. Right click on the audio part of the clip. Any clip will do. In the menu choose audio cleaning. Then click on denoiser. Go to advanced and pick choose noise from start. Then make sure you UNclick remove camera noise only. It will not get the mic hiss out otherwise. Then use the sliders to fine tune the amount removed. It's better to keep the sliders on the lower end so as to not distrort the audio. I would use headphones to really get the sound right. If you have the project broken up into many clips you can choose to apply your settings to all clips and it will automatically apply it to everything. Good luck.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to PRE Version 9