They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to make a „best-of“ video from two captures with Pre9?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

How to make a „best-of“ video from two captures with Pre9?

Postby nickky007 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Suppose, outside of PrE9, I captured twice the same transmission of a show. In hard real life, each of the two analogue captures will have its own set of flaws, some dropped frames and some duplicate frames.
Duplicate frames? Two identical frames at the output side instead of two slightly different frames (moving pictures) from the input side. Stroboscopic. Don’t ask me why!
Furthermore, both captures started early, one earlier than the other.

So, as a start, I have two videos, let’s say, ~2 hours long, representing the same transmission of a show or a sports event.

Now I want to make a “best-of” these two analog captures.

I fairly well know how to do it with brilliant but technologically limited (VfW) VirtualDub. It is laborious but it is possible without re-encoding, thus preserving the original video quality throughout the entire processing cycles by VirtualDub's Direct stream Mode. Basically it consists of breaking down each of the two videos into sub-clips of good and bad parts and exchanging each bad part from one clip by the equivalent good part of the other clip. By this procedure I can get rid of all or most of bad spots in the capture. In very rare occasions a third capture would be needed to cure overlapping bad parts.

How can this be best and easiest done in PrE9?
How to exactly (down to the frame) synchronize both videos by their video content? (In VirtualDub I use the first hard scene change as first anchor point and trim the earlier starting video so that the anchor scene change will have the same frame# in each video).
Synchronization tends to get lost at spots with dropped or duplicate frames and has to be re-established in same way.
How is this best done in PrE9?
How to guarantee that audio sync does not get lost?
Best way to observe, frame by frame, which of the two videos has the better frame? And then, how to put the better frame to the good video track?

Finally, I have already learned that in PrE9 it is not possible to output the resulting good video track in its original quality in "Direct stream copy Mode" without any re-encoding, since such a mode is not supported in PrE9. So I will not ask how that can be done. In spite of that drawback, I would expect some good advantages at PreE9's side, especially in the inspecting and editing part of the workflow.

Has anybody here already done such a workflow?
How would you do, how should I do such a workflow within PrE9?
nickky007

Re: How to make a „best-of“ video from two captures with Pre

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Yes, you can output without re-encoding, if your source video is made up of DV-AVIs, Nickky. But apparently yours isn't. So there's no way around re-encoding.

Syncing two videos is fairly easy. Just put one on Video 1 and the other on Video 2, directly above it. Zoom in as closely as you can and then locate spot on the audio tracks with a distinct waveform shape. Using the CTI as a guide, you should be able to line them up to perfect sync.

And now the bad news. There's no easy way to cut back and forth between the two videos in Premiere Elements. There is in Premiere Pro -- but not in Premiere Elements.

You can use the scissors tool to cut our and remove segments of the Video 2 video, revealing Video 1. (Make sure you hold the Ctrl key when you delete any segments you want to remove so that the clips stay in place on the timeline.) But that's about as easy as it gets. Sorry.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby nickky007 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:52 am

Hi Steve!
Premiere Pro is beyond my scope. I can't yet fly the small plane. I would not dare to fly the 747 Jumbo!
I will remember to hold the Ctrl key and then learn how easy it will get.
Thanks a lot!
nickky007

Postby momoffduty » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:56 am

As Steve said it would be easier in PrPro with the multi-cam. But, Chuck made an excellent tutorial on using 3 tracks of video that will help. "Multi-Track Transitions (PE7 Part 2)" Scroll about 1/2 down the products page. Part 1 is very good too.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?page=2&subcat_id=46
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to PRE Version 9