They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to extract/replace music

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

How to extract/replace music

Postby nickky007 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Before my subscription ends, please help me find a good solution for my 'Extractand replace music' problem:
How can I extract some seconds (or minutes) out of a clip's effects-audio track, save it to a wav-file and re-insert the same audio portion after editing (in an external audio editor, e.g. Cool Edit/Adobe Audition) from the edited wav-file?

In the 'How to gradually dim up and dim down a spotlight?' thread Chuck indicated:
...this is fairly easy. We have a tutorial on using the Work Area Bar, watching that will help you with this. We can go into more detail when you start the new topic...

Here is the new topic. Please, let's go into more detail.
I would like to find a good solution which would allow me to extract several (a dozend or more) of audio portions out of a project's timeline, to have them refurbished in my favorite video editor Cool Edit, and some days later, replace them back into their respective places in the (restarted) project.
nickky007

Re: How to extract/replace music

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Assuming that you've watched the tutorial and understand the WAB...
Set the WAB over the area that you want to export. Go to the Share tab. In the list of settings scroll down to Audio and click on it. In the Presets, choose Windows Waveform and Share Work Area Bar Only. Give it a name, choose a location, and click on Save.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:42 pm

nickky007 wrote:Before my subscription ends.....

As they said in the film 'Logan's Run'....renew, renew..... :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby nickky007 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:51 am

@Dave McElderry and other friendly helpers
Thanks for your advice. I am sure this is ok for a single 'Share' export.
But for many small music sections? How to remember where to insert the refurbished audio parts? Does Pre9 help me to remember the i (i=1,...,n) Work Area Bar positions for audio part_i (i=1,...,n) in the project file or elsewhere for later reuse? This information definitely will be needed to correctly re-insert the refurbished audio parts. The replace part is my main concern with and focus on the extract/replace workflow.

P.S. I hoped there would be some right click procedure to support selective audio cleaning.
nickky007

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:39 am

If the project doesn't change between the time you make the exports and the time you put the refurbished clips back in, you could name the exported clips according to their original location. For example, you could name the clip "Project Name xx;xx;xx;xx - yy;yy;yy;yy" where the x's are the timecode for the start and the y's are the endpoints of the clip. You would then cut out the appropriate chunk of the clip and insert the refurbished one.

You don't say exactly, but it sounds like the audio in question is not the sound that was linked to the original video, but rather separate, music that was added after. If this is the case, the above would probably work fairly well. An even better solution would be to do all of your audio refurbishing before it's ever used in your project at all. Put the clip into a temporary project, or one made just for this purpose, export your audio clips, do your cleanup, and then save and use the refurbished clips as needed.

If you want to refurbish audio that was origianlly linked to video, then this will also work, but it becomes more problematic because once the audio is unlinked from the video it can't be relinked from within PRE. You would have to be very careful during any further editing to be sure that you don't get the audio and video out of sync. A workaround in that case would be to extract the audio from the video, export it, do the cleanup, import it back and replace the original audio, then export both audio and video together as an AVI, and then finally add it back to the project.

I can't really think of an easier way to do what you're after.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby nickky007 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:44 am

Dave McElderry wrote: ...I can't really think of an easier way to do what you're after.
In my case, it is the audio that was origianlly linked to video. No easier way available!? Ok. Your way encourages me to give it a try.
Remember, I'am still at the start and not yet at the end, where your king would gravely say 'Stop'. ;)
nickky007

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:51 am

I think in most cases when you are working with audio it is best to export the entire audio from a clip, make modification, add effects, or whatever and then replace the entire audio clip, not sections. Trying to sync up a section of audio will not be easy at times. What type of changes are you making and what software are you using ?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:20 am

You may be able to edit the audio using the "Edit Original" command.

1) First convert your audio to WAV format: Clip > Audio Options > Render and Replace. That creates a WAV format clip that replaces the original audio clip on the timeline.

2) Unlink the audio from the video on the timeline. The audio has to be ungrouped in order for the "Edit Original" command to become enabled on the pop-up menu.

3) Right-click the audio clip on the timeline and select "Edit Original." Normally that would open up Windows Media Player, but you can change that behavior in the Windows control panel with Folder options. In the Media Types tab, scroll down until you find the file extension WAV. You will see that it is set to open with Windows Media Player. Click the "Open With" button and then select Adobe Audition from the list if it's in the list, or navigate to Adobe Audition and select the .exe. Now in Pre9, and earlier versions, when you right-click on the audio clip and select Edit Original, it will open up Adobe Audition with your clip. You apply effects to the clip in Adobe Audition, then exit from Adobe Audition. When Premiere Elements gains the focus, the audio will update on the timeline with the edited version. Sometimes the audio doesn't update immediately on the timeline, so then I minimize and then maximize Pre. That should do it.

This works with the operating system I'm using, Windows XP Pro.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 9