They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Zoom to work area shortcut \ does not work for me

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Zoom to work area shortcut \ does not work for me

Postby nickky007 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:13 pm

In my localized (de) PrE9 version the “Zoom to work area” shortcut \ does not work. Pressing the backslash key does not trigger any effect, though it is documented in the localized help PDF that even in my localized version the backslash \ should “Zoom to work area” .

Maybe I have wrong expectations of what “Zoom to work area” should do. I assumed it would zoom out from a detailed view of a clip in the timeline to a full view of the whole video (all clips) in the timeline.

I cannot find an entry for this task under the Edit drop-down menu . Where is that entry and how does it read in your en-US version? If there is no line ready for input in the drop-down menu can a line be inserted? How?

Please help!

P.S. I have no screenshot to illustrate this issue ;)
nickky007

Re: Zoom to work area shortcut \ does not work for me

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:17 pm

Does your Work Area Bar cover your entire project?

If so, pressing the \ key should zoom out to show your entire project in one view and then, if you press it again, should zoom back to your previous view.

So, yes, a screen capture of your timeline would be very helpful, Nickky.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby nickky007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:02 pm

I am sure I miss/misunderstand something.
In another application I have to do Ctrl+F (full) to get full work area zoom in timeline ans sceneline mode:
Example Magix Vdl 17 - Project and scene name displayed.jpg

(Feel free to delete this screenshot after it has served its purpose to clarify my case.
You see one of my reasons why I prefered to attach ZIP or RAR.)

This is what I get in PrE9: a NOOP!
Zoom to work area issue.jpg

Even in the Customize Keyboard pane (my translation! correct wording may be different) of my PrE9 version I fail to find an appropriate entry for shortcut \ (backslash)
Customize Keyboards shortcuts.jpg

Hope the screenshots will help to solve the puzzle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickky007

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Unless European keyboard function differently, it should work, Nickky.

But that could well be the case. I've heard, for instance, that some Europeans can't render their timelines by pressing the Enter key and must instead go the the Timeline menu and select the Render function there.

So, sadly, that may also be the case with this keyboard shortcut.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 pm

In the last screenshot, you are in "Anpassung der Tastatur" (keyboard customization) which is correct, and you've chosen "Anwendung" (application) which is also correct. But, you are looking at "Hilfe" (help) which is not correct. The entries in Hilfe are for the keyboard shortcuts that pertain to the help system. "Zoom to Timeline" is not under that category, it is by itself. Scroll down the list of commands. In the English version, "Zoom to Timeline" is the very last entry in the list.

If it's an issue with a european keyboard where the key codes for some keys don't correspond, you can assign a different shortcut and not use the "\".
Bob

Postby nickky007 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi Bob and Steve,
may I ask you to use your good connections to Adobe to alert them to these problems. Adobe surely knows you and respects your expertise and will listen to what you tell them. To improve their localized versions will also be to Adobe's benefit.
Same applies the not properly working cool Performance-Star menu (from my other thread)!
Same applies to the rigid (fixed column-width, in many lines not fully readable clipped-texts) table representation in 'keyboard customization':

Keyboard customization continued from my last screenshot:
Keyboard customizing 2.jpg

Is it possible to append or insert a new line into the Keyboard customization table?
If not I will have to live with it until Adobe's next service pack for PrE9 (are there any)?

Keyboard customization, example, 12 lines of clipped text makes it unusable:
Keyboard customizing 3.jpg

On my keyboard I can enter a \ as you see here. I only need to press AltGr+another key at the right side of the top line, AltGr+ß or AltGr+? on my keyboard, the AltGr+- on the US keyboard.
German and US-Intl keyboard layout.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickky007

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:06 pm

It's been a long time since I studied German and I've forgotten most of what I learned, but doesn't "Zoomen auf Schnittfenster" translate to "zoom to timeline"? It looks like the keyboard shortcut is "#". Try it and let us know if that works.

As for the clipped lines in the keyboard customization window, if you move the cursor over the right edge of the window at some point the cursor will change to a left-right double arrow. When that happens, left click and drag the window bordor to the right. The window will resize and make room for the text to show. Unfortunately, PrE won't save the resized window settings so you will need to resize the window each time you use it.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:46 am

Meantime, as I said in your other post, I very much encourage you to contact Adobe directly and let them know of your issues.

We, unfortunately, have little influence with the company and its product development -- and feedback from their customers means much more than a couple of e-mails from Chuck, Bob, Ron or me.

So please do let Adobe know of your problems! They will hear your voice.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby nickky007 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:33 am

Bob wrote:It's been a long time since I studied German and I've forgotten most of what I learned, but doesn't "Zoomen auf Schnittfenster" translate to "zoom to timeline"? It looks like the keyboard shortcut is "#". Try it and let us know if that works.
Congratulations! Your German is excellent! You did it!
Well, I forgot to mention that, before posting, I got to the same clue and tried the "#" key. But it did not work. It still does not work. Adobe's factory setting does not work!

Furthermore, the Help FAQ (premiereelements_9_help_de.pdf, page 95) does not talk about "#" but explicitly talks about backslash "\".
"Um zwischen der Anzeige des Films in seiner gesamten Länge im Schnittfenster und der vorher gewählten Zoomeinstellung zu wechseln, drücken Sie auf der Tastatur die Taste für den umgekehrten Schrägstrich (\)."
backslash zoom.jpg

Google translation:
"To switch between viewing the film in its entire length in the Timeline and the previously selected zoom setting, press the keyboard key for the backslash (\)."

Now, your next advice comes in!
Bob wrote:As for the clipped lines in the keyboard customization window, if you move the cursor over the right edge of the window at some point the cursor will change to a left-right double arrow. When that happens, left click and drag the window bordor to the right. The window will resize and make room for the text to show. Unfortunately, PrE won't save the resized window settings so you will need to resize the window each time you use it.
I am so biased by Excel (where I never enlarge the Excel window when I want to enlarge a column, but always enlarge the column itself), that I would have never got the idea to do it your way. Your way works fine!
Since I was in shortcut customizing, I changed the Adobe factory setting "#" (the physical key on my keyboard where the US-keyboard backslash "\" is situated) to the double key action "AltGr+ß" (which produces the backslash ASCII code on my keyboard).
backslash shortcut.jpg

Saved it as my user preset! Success! it works! :)

Then I changed the shortcut key to "AKUT" (which is the physical key left of BackSpace) which would permit a one key stroke. But, like the "#" key, it does not work either. So, "AltGr+ß" is the solution. I would have never found it without your help!

Bob, thanks to you: This PROBLEM SOLVED! :-5
nickky007

Postby nickky007 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:47 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:...So please do let Adobe know of your problems! They will hear your voice.
I understand your arguments, but I doubt about Adobe. I posted this backslash matter to Adobe Support some two weeks ago without any reaction!

I will try it again. I will open a new Support request and give them the link to this Muvipix.com thread as reference for all details. If it will generate a positive reaction I would plan to use the same procedure for the Blu-ray Disc menu issue and other forthcoming issues.
Do you agree with this?
nickky007

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:38 pm

I wish I could say our name had a lot of pull in San Jose, Nickky.

But we're just little fish in a pretty big pond.

Nice fish. But little fish nonetheless.

Still, no harm in trying!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:23 am

nickky007 wrote:Congratulations! Your German is excellent! You did it!..........Your way works fine! ...... I would have never found it without your help!........Bob, thanks to you: This PROBLEM SOLVED! :-5

images.jpg

SuperBob strikes again. Way to go, Bob! =D>
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:41 am

Great call, Bob!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9