They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Installation fails on Mac OS 10.6.6

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Installation fails on Mac OS 10.6.6

Postby Jvo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:19 pm

I am trying to install Premiere Elements 9 on Mac OS 10.6.6. I have installed Photoshop Elements 9 and Organizer already successfully.

The first times I tried to install Premiere Elements, the Adobe Application Manager program would crash -- I didn't even get to the purple and gray screen that requests your serial number. After allowing Adobe support to attempt to fix the problem, the technician was able to get it to at least run the installer. I enter the serial number and my Adobe ID and click "Install." The "Installation Progress" screen appears and it says "Preparing to install...." but it just keeps the "barber pole" progress bar moving while it says "Total time remaining: Calculating - 0% complete." Then eventually the DVD just spins down and there's no indication of real disk activity going on. Has anyone else encountered this problem? We also tried installing the application using a new user account with admin permissions, with the same results. I have rebooted multiple times and repaired permissions (nothing interesting turned up) and verified my startup disk (no errors). Any suggestions would be helpful. There are no logs even generated by the installer, so I can't use any error messages as clues.

My suspicion is some that some incompatibility has arisen in Mac OS 10.6.6, because I installed the other Adobe applications before upgrading to 10.6.6.

Thanks,
JV
Jvo
New User
New User

Re: Installation fails on Mac OS 10.6.6

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:27 am

Hello JV and welcome to Muvipix. :wcm:

One of the Mac users should be along soon that may be able to help you (not me, I'm afraid; I use a PC).
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 am

Hi, JV. You could be right about other Adobe programs causing problems. As I said on the Adobe forum, Premiere Elements 9 was developed to run on Snow Leopard, and it installed and runs beautifully on my Mac. So it's not a problem with the program and the operating system.

I believe you've already contacted Adobe Tech Support and they've not been able to help you. I also suggested removing Photoshop Elements and installing Premiere Elements first. I believe you've tried all of these and have not yet found a solution.

I'm not sure we can be of much more help than Adobe Tech Support in these situations. There's something going on on your system that needs much deeper troubleshooting than we can supply. Sorry.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jvo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:58 pm

(I'm posting this here for posterity - apologies to those who have already read it on Adobe's forums)
I have solved my problem!

I believe the issue (besides some incompatibility with the version of AAM supplied on the DVD) was that the updated Adobe Application Manager that the technician originally installed was stored in my user home folder, rather than the root volume. So in addition to deleting the OOBE folder from ~/Library/Adobe, I also deleted it from /Library/Application Support/Adobe. When I ran the uninstaller for Photoshop Elements, this time it said AAM was missing. So I then re-installed AAM from the downloaded .dmg file. At that point I guessed that would ensure the latest AAM was being used, so I went ahead and tried to install Premiere Elements rather than trying to uninstall PSE again. And this time it worked! One way I knew I was getting past the "stuck" point was that the installer prompted me for my Macintosh's administrative password to allow installation to continue.

For anyone else having this issue, search Adobe's support site for "Adobe Application Manager" to get a download link. I'm not allowed to post links here yet.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and to Adobe for making an effort to resolve this case. Now it would be great if Adobe could work on supplying the ALL add-ins and effects available on Windows for the Mac!

--JV
Jvo
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:15 am

Glad that you sorted it out, JV.

And thanks for posting back here =D> so that others who may be having the same problem can see what you did.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:33 am

Glad to hear you're up and running, JV! Hope you'll share some of your work with the community!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby babya1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:31 am

I had the same problem as Jvo-here's what I did to fix it:
What seemed to made the installer crash was that the Adobe Application manager installed into my user's Application folder.

What I did to solve it was to delete and recreate my user's Application folder and set its permissions to read only which in my case causes the PRE9 installer to start OK and installed fine for me .
babya1
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 9