They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hehe please convince me to keep PEl and PrEl 9! ;)

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Hehe please convince me to keep PEl and PrEl 9! ;)

Postby Ted » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:14 am

Hello all,

Well I got the PEl and PrEl 9 bundle in on Saturday from Amazon and I admit it's an incredible deal ($70 after rebate). Now it sits here unopened on my computer desk and before I DO open it, I want to make sure it's something that will be most beneficial.

Some background information:

1. I don't consider myself a serious hobbyist (along the lines of many of you good folks!), but I do enjoy making videos, specifically tutorials for my hobby of cardmaking.
2. I own two camcorders: Kodak zi8 and a Canon Vixia HFS10. The Kodak I use for quick videos (tours around my craft area, for example) and the Canon I use for the actual tutorials. I post most (if not all) of my videos on YouTube.
3. I use Photoshop Elements primarily for three reasons: a. Edit photos I take of my creations (cards, etc.) - this includes putting a watermark (through a PE action); b. Organizing my digital images (digitally created stamped images); c. coloring in the digital images.
4. I currently own/use PEl and PrEl 8.

Some questions I have about PEl and PrEl 9:

1. Based on the background I mentioned above, will I truly find huge advantages over my current setup of Version 8?
2. As I mentioned, I use a PE action to edit most of my photos (this action reduces the size, resolution, and places a watermark on the photo). Is it possible to import this action from V. 8 to V. 9?
3. Anything else you'd like to share? :)

As I said, with a net cost of $70, I realize this is an incredible deal! That being said, being a teacher... $70 IS $70. LOL I have until March 1 to decide if I want to return it to Amazon or not.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. :)
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Hehe please convince me to keep PEl and PrEl 9! ;)

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:09 am

Keep it as opposed to what, Ted? As opposed to using an older version of the program or as opposed to use it as opposed to using, say, Vegas Movie Studio? You'll certainly see improved performance over version 8.

I can tell you at the outset that Premiere Elements does not like mixed video sources, so I'm not so sure about using it for projects that mix your Kodak and Canon footage. Particularly since that Kodak doesn't shoot in a standard video format (AVCHD, for instance), and so it may or may not play well with Premiere Elements.

Before you decide, I'd recommend you download a trial of Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum. The trial is fully functional, so you'll be able to mix both the Kodak and Canon footage in it and give it a good test drive.

It's a different editing environment, but you may also find you prefer it to Premeire Elements.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:32 am

Hi Steve and thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my thread.

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post.

I don't mix the footage from each camera. I use the Kodak to take footage for quick jobs...but then I edit it exclusively. ie. I don't use it with footage from my Canon. Each footage I tape has its own purpose, but they never mix.

Sorry for the mix-up.

Oh...and I meant keeping it as opposed to just sticking with Version 8. Again, sorry I wasn't clearer.
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:15 pm

I definitely recommend upgrading to version 9, if you can afford it, Ted. It's a more stable product that seems to handle non-tape video much more efficiently.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I definitely recommend upgrading to version 9, if you can afford it, Ted. It's a more stable product that seems to handle non-tape video much more efficiently.

That's all I needed to hear, Steve.

When it comes to all things related to video and photo software, you and Chuck are superheroes to me! :SS:

Thanks for the information regarding non-tape video. I saw your tutorials on V. 9 and was impressed and glad I found them. Hoping you do more! :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:46 pm

I agree, it is definitely worth the upgrade especially at the deal you got Ted :)
Thank you so much for the very kind comments.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Yes, thanks, Ted! That's a lot of responsibility though. Hope we prove ourselves worthy!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:28 pm

Well, as long as you both take turns changing in the phone booth, I don't think we'll have any problems! Or maybe just each get your own phone booth! ;)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:32 pm

Certainly PE9 handles AVCHD, which is the format your Canon captures in high definition, will be handled more easily by PE9.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ted » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:31 pm

Paul LS wrote:Certainly PE9 handles AVCHD, which is the format your Canon captures in high definition, will be handled more easily by PE9.

Thank you, Paul!

Yes, that will definitely be good. The novice I am, I don't need any more challenges than I already have in even turning on the camcorder! :oops:
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to PRE Version 9