They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Replacing Backgrounds in Muvipix Menu Themes

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Replacing Backgrounds in Muvipix Menu Themes

Postby akdanie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi all. New guy here.
I've been using PE3 for years and decided to upgrade to PE 9. I must say that I prefer PE3s workflow options much better but hopefully I will get used to PE9.
I'm having a problem trying to replace the backgrounds in two of the menu templates that I downloaded here, the 18scenes and generic textdvdv4 menu templates. I use the Generic One in PE3 all the time and just change the text and background to suit the project I'm on. The two menu templates that I mentioned work flawlessly in PE3 but in PE9 I can change the text and background and see my changes in the preview but when I burn to a folder or disc only the text changes are applied in the menu, not the background image change. My test projects (I've done this a dozen times now) are NTSC-DV-Standard 48kHz and the images that I'm using as replacement backgrounds are 720 x 576 jepgs. I always do a save before I burn to disc or folder and if I close PE9 and reopen it, my modified menu is still there complete with text and background image changes. It just won't burn the "new" menu background. I've tried a few of the applications extra content menu themes and replacing the backgrounds on them works just fine. Unfortunately I can't find a simple menu theme that came with the program. They are all too "fancy" for my use and have overlays on the replaceable background.
I'm hoping that I'm overlooking the obvious (Isn't that usually the case?) but I saw something in a previous thread that made me think that this might not be "fixable".
One thing I did notice is that during the "burn" there is no ENCODING MENU in the sequence of "burning" steps, just an ENCODING MEDIA/COMPILING MEDIA/BURNING sequence of events, but there must be some menu encoding going on because my text changes have been applied.
Has anyone else here used the menus mentioned above in PE9 and been able to change the backgrounds successfully? Thanks
Dan
XP Home SP3, Pentium 4 3.4 gHz, 2G ram, All-In-Wonder X-600 256mb, PE 9.0.1
akdanie
New User
New User

Re: Replacing Backgrounds in Muvipix Menu Themes

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:17 am

Hi Dan and welcome to Muvipix. :wcm:

I no longer use PrEl - I switched from PrElv2 to PPro - so I am afraid I cannot help you with your query but rest assured that someone will be along very soon that will be able to help you.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:06 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Dan!

What you're describing is a bug in Premiere Elements and has nothing to do with the menu templates themselves.

Unfortunately, it's a bug no one has found a sure-fire workaround for yet. Although updating to the latest version of Quicktime sometimes helps.

Sorry I can't offer more of a solution, but we're all waiting for Adobe to come through with a fix.

Meantime, be sure to go to Premiere Elements Help menu and select Check for Update so you do get the latest fixes. Hopefully they'll help somewhat.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby akdanie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks Steve. Sometimes just knowing that you're not doing anything wrong is good to hear. I am running an older version of Quicktime so I will update to the latest version. I'm glad that I haven't uninstalled PE3.
Dan
akdanie
New User
New User

Postby akdanie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:17 pm

FYI I just updated my Quicktime to the latest and greatest. Same problem with PE9. I will be waiting on Adobe now. Maybe it's time to look at Sony's DVD Architect Studio.
Dan
akdanie
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:10 am

Did you try using a video as a background in any of those 2 templates? If that works, then create a video from the jpeg, and use the video as the background replacement. An mpeg2 worked for me.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:12 am

Good suggestion, RJ. =D>
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:00 am

I highly recommend some other form of producing DVDs. Whether it is EncoreDVD, or DVD Architect Studio you will never be sorry you made the change. There is so much more you can do with the other programs you will wonder why you didn't make the change sooner :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby akdanie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:48 pm

Funny that you should mention that. Last night I ordered DVD Architect Studio 5 (bundled) and The Muvipix Guide to DVD Architect Studio 5.0 along with Cool Tricks & Hot Tips for Adobe PE. I've been using PE 2 in a Snap for a while now and really like it. Nice job! There goes my budget for a while but I'm sure it will be money well spent.
I have not tried the "convert image to video" trick yet but it sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately when I start building movies, in the fall after drag racing season ends, I usually do 40 to 50 before it slows down again. I build personalized DVDs for the local racers and use a menu (whose background changes a lot) in almost every movie so that would slow me down a bit.
If you're interested: http://www.auroradigitalarts.com
I'm excited that I found this forum since there seems to be a lot of very knowledgeable folks here.
Dan
akdanie
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:22 pm

You are a very wise man, Dan! You're going to love DVD Architect Studio 5 (and, hopefully, our books)!

Meantime, go to our products page and type in "DVD Architect". Our "basic training" tutorials should get you up and running on the program in no time.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby akdanie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:43 pm

I tried RJ's idea and turned a still background into a 30 sec. MPEG2 clip and used that as my background. Worked great. It even worked with my favorite menu from PE3 that I copied into my PE9 program. Thank you! :TU:
Dan
akdanie
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:21 am

It's always great to hear the success stories, Dan! (And you'll hear Robert's name mentioned often when it comes to finding solutions!) Happy moviemaking!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9