They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Should I run PE9 at 64bit or 32 in windows 7...

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Should I run PE9 at 64bit or 32 in windows 7...

Postby steven » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:08 am

I received PE9 for Christmas as well as Windows 7.
Should i run PE9 for WIndows 7 in 32 bit or 64? I tried windows 7 ultimate 64bit but that caused the computer to lock up even when i wasn't using PE9. Should i just go back to Windows XP Pro?

Second question
I was using windows xp pro and wanted to upgrade to 6GB ram but was told the computer would only 3.25
and that I would have to go to Windows 7 ultimate 64? Can i still go to 32 and have the system recognize the 6GB Ram?

I have a

Custom built AMD Phenom Quad Core PC - AMD Phenom 9950
2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor, 4GB
DDR2 240-pin PC2-6400 Memory w/Heat Spreader, Western Digital

Diamond Radeon HD 4650 - 1GB GDDR2, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX, (2) Dual-Link DVI, S-Video,
Video Card
Caviar SE16 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/s Hard Disk Drive, Asus
780G HDMI ATX AMD Socket AM2/AM2+ w/Integrated HDMI, DVI/
Analog Video, Firewire, USB 2.0, PCI-e 16x Motherboard, Samsung
22x SATA DVD+/-RW Drive, Black ATX Case w/580 Watt PSU and
Case Fans, 7-in-1 Memory Card Reader
steven

Re: Should I run PE9 at 64bit or 32 in windows 7...

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Premiere Elements 9 should still run on Windows 7 64-bit, if the operating system includes all of the latest (including non-critical) updates and the latest version of Quicktime. It may have problems accessing the DVD burner, but it still should run just fine. You certainly shouldn't see lock-ups.

Yes, it's true that 32-bit operating systems can only use up to around 4 gigs of RAM. Your 64-bit operating system can use much more -- but you won't likely see a boost by adding more if you're using mostly consumer programs (like Premiere Elements), which are still only 32-bit programs. (In fact, virtually all consumer programs are 32-bit -- so I'm not sure why the industry is pushing 64-bit operating system on the public at this time. In my opinion, the move is a bit premature. But that's a whole other discussion.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby steven » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks Steve for your expertise. I went ahead and had my IT guy wipe the drives and installed Windows 7 Ultimate in 32-bit format so that my software would have the ability to function normally and not impact the machines performance negatively. (according to him)
So if I understand you correctly I should be ok with 4gig RAM to run PE9 without any issues. This machine is primarily used for PE9 and PSE9 and some other small programs. What current book do you suggest i look into purchasing to get me update on PE9? I'm jumping from PE 3 to PE 9. Do you guys have a Tutorial DVD's on PE9?
At your convenience. Thanks again Steve for the help. Steven DeGeorge
steven

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:21 pm

Sounds like you've got a great set-up, Steven. If you keep the operating system and Quicktime up to date, the program should run just great on that system.

As for which books I'd recommend -- well, our very own Muvipix.com Guides, of course!
http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 pm

steven wrote: Do you guys have a Tutorial DVD's on PE9?

There are tons of tutorials, over 200, in our product section http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=44
Many are free and you can purchase a 2 month learning subscription for under $20 http://muvipix.com/subscribe.php

Any of the version 7, 8 or 9 tutorials would apply to version 9, the interface has not changed much at all since version 7.
Start with the Basic Training and go from there ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby steven » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks Steve and Chuck for the assistance.
steven

"low system memory"

Postby steven » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:27 pm

>I must be getting old... I didnt realize i posted a simular question last year...

CPU
> 2.6 GHz
> AMD Phenom Quad Core processor 9950
> Win 7 64 bit operating system Service Pack 1 8G RAM 320 gig hard drive
> / partioned with 120 gig on C drive
>
> Sorry to bother you with this, I've been trying to follow some of your
> links on what your solutions are for this problem. But have lost the trail.
> Just had CPU wiped and installed win 7 64 OS, added 4g ram, and
> defragged drive. Yesterday I thought i could put a quick one minute,
> titles only together for an upcoming project. Thought it would just
> take me 30 minutes. Instead I got "low system memory" proceed with
> caution. Wow, didn't expect that for such a short clip.. no pictures
> just an MP3 file and titles. This was my first project. All previous
> projects were wiped off the drive.
> Before upgrading i never had that issue, formerly windows XP PRO, 32
> bit 4G RAM.
> I noticed a link on Saturday where you talked about " CDEDIT /set
> increaseuserva 4096" would this apply to me?
> Shouldn't PE 9 Run faster on WIN 7 / 64bit OS? This really has me
> confused on why the project is running so slow...
> What can i do to correct this? I appreciate your expertise and
> guidance regarding this issue.
> Please advise at your convenience. Steven
steven

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:47 pm

As I advised in our private message, Steven, I'd first recommend swapping in a WAV for the MP3 file. MP3s, for some reason, can slow this program to a crawl.

You also don't say what model of camcorder you're building your video from or what format it's in. But you do want to make sure your project is properly set up for your source video. That means that, when you add a clip to your timeline, you're NOT seeing a red line above the clips.

Do those two things and then render whenever you do see red lines above your clips (as when you add transitions or effects) and you should see excellent performance.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby steven » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Again bear with me. I did get your private message, and thanks again for your insight. I just thought i would post this out there. I will swap the mp3 for the wav file.
As far as format goes i haven't brought in any video or still images. Im just building with titles. I do get a red line when I make adjustments but i'm rendering after each title that's added to the timeline. The video I'm building is compiled of old photos under 1MB to 3MB some video that is in AVI format and video shot with a SONY HDR550X i believe so it will have 1080 format.
Dad Turns 80 this year and the family wants me to put together some stuff. So it's been a little while since i messed with this stuff. DO you recommend going to PE 10 to cure allot of this?
steven

low system memory PE 9

Postby steven » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Is this not getting out to the forum...
steven

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:31 pm

I'm not sure about the specs on the SONY HDR550X. When I Google it, I just get links to batteries.

But if it's a still camera and you're using video from it, that could be a problem, since it likely uses the MJPEG format to create its AVIs.

Also, if your photos are larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, that too will choke the program.

So you could have a number of issues at work here.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby steven » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Steve first of all i appreciate your patience and respnses, its great to be able to get help on your site. I haven't started to add video yet this was just doing titles when i got the low system warning. This has me worried about importing hd video. It wont be much just a interview with dad.
The camera is a sony HDR cx550 sorry for the wrong model #. Should I just bite the bullet and get 10. Or should I go to "command prompt" and do the ram adjustment bdcedit

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
steven

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:53 am

The RAM adjustment is likely unnecessary -- particularly since you apparently have Windows 7 64-bit.

Bottom line: If you match your project settings to your source video, you will get excellent results. I can't advise you what those settings are since I don't know what model of camcorder your video is coming from and what format and resolution it is.

You have plenty of computer power, and there's no reason you should not be getting top-notch performance if your computer is up to date and properly tuned. And you say you have a custom-built machine -- so it could be that your system isn't properly set up or tuned. It's hard to say. But, with the hardware you've got, your computer shouldn't even work up a sweat when you're editing (although ultimately it could benefit from another couple of gigs of RAM, if you're running a 64-bit operating system -- but it's likely version 10 would take better advantage of that).

In short, something is wrong at the core here, and I'm not sure what it is. You don't need to be doing any power tweaks. You've got everything you need to do some powerful video editing.

Just make sure your computer is set up properly and your project is set up properly and you'll be fine. (Though, in the meantime, you may want to run a program like Advanced System Care Free to give your system a good Deep Care tune-up. http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html ) But, beyond that, it's likely something much more basic.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

low system memory PE 9

Postby steven » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:44 am

Thanks again Steve for the quick responses in helping this 49 year old get back into PE9. You are right about the machine and last night I read some of your older posts to other people and did a tune up on the system. After that I dropped in a VOB video file from a previous Home DVD that I needed to edit. No hiccups, even when i went to add titles, or insert photos. Red line appeared on the changes and I rendered after each change. I will try tonight to import the AVCHD that i shot the other night and see how that falls into place. As far as the photos go I have learned from you on other posts to make sure I compress them. Thanks Steve for your patience and guidance. I will let you know how things turn out.
steven

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:03 am

steven wrote:As far as the photos go I have learned from you on other posts to make sure I compress them.

No, that's not compression we're talking about. We're talking about the actual image size, not the image FILE size.

The Image Size is what you see when you open the file in Photoshop Elements and check Image Size under the Image menu. Check the measurement in pixels.

File sizes can vary wildly, especially if they're JPEGs. A very highly compressed JPEG can be very small -- but it can still include enough pixels to choke the program. It's the number of pixels, not the size of the file, that matters!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 9