They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Should I run PE9 at 64bit or 32 in windows 7...

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

low system memory PE 9

Postby steven » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks for correction on Compression. Sorry to be high maitenance on this but could you direct me to a tutorial for these photos that I have that are 3-8 MB that will show me a walkthrough the on making them fit in the video without choking the system. One other thing, can you explain what you meant by "If you match your project settings to your source video, you will get excellent results." your referencing what the camera is recording....correct. SO if i figure that out then I should be able to set up the video each time with the correct settings. IS there a free tutorial that explains this? At your convenience.
steven

Re: Should I run PE9 at 64bit or 32 in windows 7...

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:58 am

I recommend watching the following Premiere Elements Basic Training free tutorials, nothing in detail about resizing images however.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
Also this one about converting video formats in Premiere Elements

They might not be exactly what you are looking for but they will provide you with knowledge about the same subject and I'm sure some lights will come on viewing them.

We do have a video for subscribers that is a detailed tutorial on resizing images
You can watch a short preview, the learning basic subscription is only $20 for 2 months of unlimited tutorials and articles.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby steven » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks Steve and Chuck, for the help. I greatly appreciate all do for us beginners.....Have a blessed day...
steven

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Don't use BCDEDIT, it doesn't apply to this situation.

"low system memory proceed with caution" is not referring directly to memory used by Premiere Elements. The "system" in the message is referring to the amount of virtual memory available to the entire Windows system. Basically, your page file is too small.

I'm guessing the IT guy who set up your system specified a custom page file that was too small. The default is for Windows to manage virtual storage which allows for expansion when needed. Insufficient disk space could also prevent expansion. Check your drive space first.

The mix of old and new posts is confusing. Would you please confirm whether or not you are now using Window 7 64-bit with 8GB RAM and a video card with 1GB video memory. Thanks!
Bob

low system memory PE 9

Postby steven » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:14 pm

Bob Thanks for the advice on not to do the BCDEDIT. Yes I'm now using win 7 64. Here's what my system
CPU > 2.6 GHz > AMD Phenom Quad Core processor 9950 >
Win 7 64 bit operating system Service Pack 1
8G RAM 320 gig hard drive > / partioned with 120 gig on C drive > >
So how do i change the " custom page file that was too small?"
steven

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Here are some steps to follow for changing the page size in Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ual-memory
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Page size

Postby steven » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:04 pm

7.Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.

Since I'm still at work, what size in MB should I place in the box? Thanks for the help RJ.
steven

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 pm

You only should need to go to step 5
"Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box."

Instead of clearing the check box make sure it is checked.
Windows can handle the page file just fine in most cases.
Bob is assuming that someone unchecked the box and set up a size that is too small.

If you want to set a larger size yourself (and you can set a different size for each drive), the recommended setting was always 2.5 times the amount of RAM you have.
Here is what Microsoft says...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2160852
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

low memory...

Postby steven » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Ok Chuck, so if i understand you correctly, if the box is checked....uncheck it? I'm headed to the house now will report later tonight. Thanks again. Go Pack!
steven

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:23 pm

No, if you want Windows to manage the virtual memory, the box needs to be checked.

Go ahead and do steps 1 through 4, then look to see how things are set up. Is the "automatically manage paging file" box checked? There are three options that can be chosen: Custom size, System managed size, and no paging file. Which is selected?
If custom size is selected, what are the values?

One thing that concerns me is the size of your system drive. You partitioned the drive with only 120 GB on the C drive. How much free space is left on the C drive?
Bob

Virtual memory...

Postby steven » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:29 pm

automatically manage paging size for all drives" That box is checked.

Minimum allowed 16 MB
Recommended 12286 MB
Currently allocated 8191 MB

Space Available 104087 MB

C Drive is 93.6 GBs Free of 146GB
steven

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:09 am

Everything looks fine. Windows is managing the virtual memory/paging file and the numbers look appropriate. You don't need to change anything.

Are you still getting the low system memory message? It could be that Premiere Elements 9 is allocating lots of memory and not releasing it. That was a problem with some earlier versions too. The Titler especially was prone to allocating lots of space and not releasing it. If you are making lots of titles, that may be part of the cause. Next time you get the message, try saving the project (so you won't lose your work) and then close the project or exit and restart Premiere Elements to see if that releases the memory and takes care of the problem.
Bob

low memory message

Postby steven » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks Bob for the help. Thanks for the late post as well. Everyone at muvipix has done a great job in being patient and assisting me with my issues. Your right on the money for what was going on with the titles. I did a one minute intro to my movie with just titles... probably about 12 titles total moving in and out. When i initially got the "low memory message" is freaked me out after upgrading the CPU to win 7 64. With your help, Chucks help and Steve G's, i've been able to calm down, download the latest patches and defragg the drive. To your suggestion I did save the file and then reopened it without any issues, grant it I was at the last three titles but still no "low memory issues" Last night i opened up PE9 and placed a 1080 clip from the sony camcorder HDR CX550, added a title, fade video in and out, rendered and saved it with no issues. But let me ask should i be bring in that 1080 clip in and save it as an AVI 720x480? The reason for saving it AVI is for me to use it later in another part of the video.
I can't thank you, Chuck and Steve, enough for your patience in helping me with this matter. I'm sure I will be back with other questions as I proceed with my project. Thanks again and Have a blessed day. Steven DeGeorge Tulsa, OK
steven

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:59 pm

It's going to depend on what source video you have to work with and what you intend to do with it. If you can give us a little more information, it will be easier for us to help you.

What is your intended end product? Are you going to create a DVD, Blu-ray disk, a file to play on your computer, or upload to a website? Is it to be standard definition or high definition? Is the avi source standard dv-avi such as would be captured from a video camera, or it is compressed with a different codec such as divx or xvid? What project preset did you use when you created the intro?

Generally, it's a lot easier if all the video is the same format. Stills are not a problem (other than sizing them appropriately), but mixing different video formats in the same project can be problematical.
Bob

Postby steven » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:25 am

What is your intended end product? To make a DVD for my Dads Bday it will be both photos and video. typically i do this in sections, intro, video, pictures, pictures, video, credits
Are you going to create a DVD? Yes it will be a DVD handed out to family members to take home and show on their dvd players
Is it to be standard definition or high definition? I'm not sure what to answer here Bob. I would say standard even though some of the video was shot in 1080.
Is the avi source standard dv-avi such as would be captured from a video camera? Video is currently captured from the Sony HDR CX550. It was shot in 1080 when i pull it out of the camera file reads. What I typically do, and you can probably correct me on this, bring in the video, add a title or pop up video bubble, render and then save it as an AVI 720 x 480, when all me clips are saved to AVI i bring them back into a new final project in PE9, string them all together, place my dvd markers and then burn it to DVD.
What project preset did you use when you created the intro? Not really sure just opened a new project and started adding titles... Moving forward what do you suggest?
Thanks for the help Bob.
steven

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 9