They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How can I save the Undo Tab with my PSD? ...

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

How can I save the Undo Tab with my PSD? ...

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:06 pm

... so that, when I reopen the image, I can more easily recall how I did it? :mrgreen:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: How can I save the Undo Tab with my PSD? ...

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Not quite sure what you are asking George, but all of the changes are kept in the History.
You can open the History window and see what all you have done, does that help?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Not quite sure what you are asking George, but all of the changes are kept in the History.
You can open the History window and see what all you have done, does that help?

But when I reopen the PSD, the Undo History tab is empty.

#-o
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:12 pm

The history panel is not saved when the file is closed, Chuck. Photoshop CS5, which is what George has, can create an edit history log which does save the history information across sessions. I believe this is what George is talking about. The log can be saved as a separate text file or embedded in the file's metadata. If embedded, you can view the log in Photoshop using "File Info" or use Bridge to display the metadata. It does not load the log data into the history panel when the file is opened, so you can't undo to a previous step. To enable the edit history log, go to edit>preferences>Preferences>General and click the History Log preference to toggle it on and select the desired options.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Bob wrote:Photoshop CS5, which is what George has....

Bob, I have CS5, but in this case I'm using PSE9.

Will your sugggestion also work with PSE9?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:54 am

No, as far as I know, that is a Photoshop only feature.
Bob

Postby Peru » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:58 am

Bob wrote:The history panel is not saved when the file is closed, Chuck. Photoshop CS5, which is what George has, can create an edit history log which does save the history information across sessions. I believe this is what George is talking about. The log can be saved as a separate text file or embedded in the file's metadata. If embedded, you can view the log in Photoshop using "File Info" or use Bridge to display the metadata. It does not load the log data into the history panel when the file is opened, so you can't undo to a previous step. To enable the edit history log, go to edit>preferences>Preferences>General and click the History Log preference to toggle it on and select the desired options.

Can a similar thing be done for Premiere Pro CS4?
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:29 am

Bob wrote:No, as far as I know, that is a Photoshop only feature.

If that's the case, then I now have a second reason to use CS5 for some of my editing (the other is Content-Aware Fill).

Follow-up question: If I choose Metadata, does that mean that any viewer of the image will also be able to see what I've done?

I think I read somewhere that the Metadata can be edited/removed by CS5 before disseminationg the image. And having the information in Metadata, rather than in a zillion different txt files, seems far more convenient. But I'm not sure I want to reveal to a customer all the details of how I created her image.

#-o
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Can a similar thing be done for Premiere Pro CS4?

No, the edit history log is only a Photoshop capability.

If I choose Metadata, does that mean that any viewer of the image will also be able to see what I've done? ... I think I read somewhere that the Metadata can be edited/removed by CS5 before disseminationg the image.

Metadata is not encrypted, so any application that can access the metadata can potentially see it. The edit history is stored in an Adobe extension so not all programs will access it, but it's certainly possible with the right programs.

You can remove metadata from an image you want to distribute using Photoshop or Bridge. Photoshop has the "Save for Web" feature that will allow you to strip out the metadata, but that is designed for smaller images and will nag you about the size if you try it on a full size image. I haven't had any problem with it though. Bridge has the "Export to.." feature and that is better. It exports as JPG and you can batch export and specify a hard drive as the target location. Either method will allow you to strip out all the metadata or retain copyright data if present, Bridge can also apply a metadata template to add copyright or other selected metadata.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Bob wrote:You can remove metadata from an image you want to distribute using Photoshop or Bridge. Photoshop has the "Save for Web" feature that will allow you to strip out the metadata, but that is designed for smaller images and will nag you about the size if you try it on a full size image. I haven't had any problem with it though. Bridge has the "Export to.." feature and that is better. It exports as JPG and you can batch export and specify a hard drive as the target location. Either method will allow you to strip out all the metadata or retain copyright data if present, Bridge can also apply a metadata template to add copyright or other selected metadata.

Thanks still once again for the detailed answer, Bob.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 9