They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How Can Output Be Better than the Original?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

How Can Output Be Better than the Original?

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:42 am

After making an Album consisting of about 20 HD (2288x1520) stills in PSE9, I created a Slide Show with PSE9 that includes 3 minutes of WAV audio.

I Output the show to an open PRE9 Timeline, added my usual front and end material, then played it back -- as usual, without first rendering it -- and the playback was smooth.

Then I "shared" the Timeline to a HDD (Personal Computer) as an MPEG2 1080i 30 but made the following changes on the Advance Button before burning: Quality 5, VBR, 2 Pass. I made no changes to the audio preset.

What I cannot comprehend is: Why is it that, when I play the MPEG2 file wiith either Windows Media Viewer or Media Center, both the video and, especially, the audio are magnitudes of order better than when I played back the PRE9 timeline? If the answer is that the video looks better because it has been rendered during encoding, how to explain that the audio, especially, sounds so much better?

Related question: Why is it that, when I use iTunes to convert an mp3 to a WAV file -- which causes it to "grow" from 3-4mb to 30-40 mb -- it, too, sounds so much better? Once a file has been compressed to mp3, shouldn't the material that was lost during the compression process be permanently unrecoverable?

#-o
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: How Can Output Be Better than the Original?

Postby Paul LS » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:04 am

George, what playback quality setting are you using. Right click in the playback monitor and select Playback quality... it can be set to Automatic or Highest.

Also note even at highest quality the playback will not be as good as the final export quality.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 9