They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help getting started.PLEASE

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Help getting started.PLEASE

Postby KarenK » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi, I am just getting started with learning video and I already have faced a seeming roadblock.
I have Premiere Elements 9, and I have the book "The Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 9" .

I have a Sony Handycam HDR-CX260V and a Kodak Zi8 camera. The Sony Handycan can shoot HD video and has internal memory plus a 16 gig SD card to allow extra memory.

My problem is that in the book they talk about how important it is to select the correct setting when you are starting a project because you can't change it later.
I don't know what setting to choose from those presented. None of them seem to fit my cameras.

The Zi8 seems to record in ".mov" format but I don't know what this means for the Premiere setting selections.

I don't know what format the Sony records in although I know that you can select HD.

I intend to create teaching videos to be shown on my website and on YouTube but so far can't even get started because I don't know what are the correct setting I should choose in Premiere.

I freely admit that I am a complete tech Dummie and I am hoping that someone will be nice and give me a clue! :)

Thank you!!!

Just found this out about the formats for the Sony Handycam:
The Sony HDR-CX260V Camcorder will save the HD videos in the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 AVCHD format with the extension: .MTS/.M2TS. The SD videos are saved in MPEG2-PS format with the extension: .MPG.

The Sony HDR-CX260V Camcorder offers 1920 x 1080 high definition resolutions.

I will be inputting into my PC computer via the SD card into Premiere Elements 9. Still don't know what setting to select to edit the videos.
Thank you!
KarenK
New User
New User

Re: Help getting started.PLEASE

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:14 am

Hello Karen and welcome to Muvipix. :meet:

I regret that I am not an Elements user and I do not want to give information that may (most likely will) be wrong.

But someone will be along soon that will be able to help you out.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:22 am

I am not a Premiere user, but it manages .mov extension for sure, as most DSRL cameras shot videos in that format.

I dare recommend Format Factory last version to reduce the files' weight, preferably choosing the H264 codec.
It may be useful disabling the audio as well.

If the number of frames per seconds (fps) is not specified, Format Factory maintains the same as in the original video.

Good work !
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:29 am

Hi, Karen. Welcome to Muvipix! I've taken the liberty of moving your post to our Premiere Elements 9 forum so that it can get the proper attention.

With version 9, it's going to be pretty difficult to match your project settings to video from that Zi8 camera. More recent versions of the program are much better at working with these formats -- but version 9 was pretty much built around standard camcorder formats like miniDV, HDV and, to a lesser extent, AVCHD.

Which brings us to your Sony camcorder, which is an AVCHD camcorder.

Since version 10 -- and especially since version 11 -- Premiere Elements is much more effective in working with AVCHD. However, version 9 does allow for it to some extent.

When you start your project, go to Settings and select the preset for Full AVCHD 1920x1080. That will set up your project to work with your Sony footage. Also, don't put the SD card into your computer to transfer your video from camcorder to computer. For best results attach your camcorder to your computer via USB cable and use Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Cameras to port the video from the camcorder to your project, as described in Chapter 3 of the book.

Your Kodak footage though may be a bit more challenging. But it's worth trying to load it into your project the same way as you did your AVCHD video.

And make sure you've got the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer! That's a vital element in the Premiere Elements workflow, especially if you're working with MOV video.

Meantime, be sure to check out our free 8 part "Intro to Premiere Elements" tutorial series. It should help you with most of these basics.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:55 am

Just wanted to add a Welcome Karen to Muvipix! :wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby KarenK » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post, your help is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks Steve,
I did use the memory card direct to the computer instead of the cable. I will try it again with the cable tonight.

Also am I supposed to somehow "compress" or "render" the files before uploading to YouTube?

When I was saving the files to my hard drive when I was finished I was not given any choice of file extensions to choose from. When I save images from Photoshop Elements to my computer I am given several file extensions to choose from. (jpeg,gif, png, etc)

There does not seem to be this choice in Premiere Elements 9.

Thanks again for all the help. It can be very frustrating as a beginner when you are not sure what or why things are not working as you had hoped!!!

I appreciate your time, thanks again!

Karen
KarenK
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:29 pm

Also am I supposed to somehow "compress" or "render" the files before uploading to YouTube?

Yes, the movie needs to be exported from Premiere Elements before it can be uploaded. The way you do that is to click on the Share tab in the Tasks Panel and select the type of export you want. Premiere Elements 9 has an Online option under Share which can format the export according to YouTube's requirements and allow you to upload it.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:36 pm

And, again, check out that 8 part tutorial series I linked to. Part 8 is all about outputting your video!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby KarenK » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Thank you Bob and Steve!

I am starting the tutorials now!!! Lots to know and to do!!

Really appreciate your help! :-D

Karen
KarenK
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 9