They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Installing fonts in PrE9

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Installing fonts in PrE9

Postby Dagtall » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:22 pm

Hey,

I don't like the selection of fonts in PrE9 (are they better in PrE11, may upgrade to 64 bit Ver.).

Is there a way to install fonts into PrE9 (are they available here at Muvipix, didn't see them anywhere)?

If I install a font disk into windows will it read the fonts in PrE9 (do they have to be true type...or whatever that is)?

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Anthony
Dagtall
New User
New User

Re: Installing fonts in PrE9

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:17 am

Google "Free fonts" and you will find many sites where you can download fonts. DaFont.com is a popular one. Check the licensing terms. Some fonts are free for personal use but require a fee for commercial use. Download the fonts you want. If there are zipped, extract them from the zip file. They most likely will be .ttf or .otc files. Either is fine. If you are using windows 7 or 8, you can right click on the font file and select install, or double click the file to see a preview -- there is an install button in the preview pane. Installing will make the font available to all applications. PrE should be closed when you install the new font. The next time you open PrE, the font will be available.
Bob

Postby Dagtall » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:17 am

Thanks for the reply.

That is nice that it works off the installed fonts.

Question: I have an old disk of fonts (maybe 8-10 years old), I think it's called 10,000 fonts lol, do you think it's worth a try to install that on my editing station (it is Win 7 64bit machine) or will that disk will just screw things up?

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Anthony
Dagtall
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:41 am

I would not recommend installing a large number of fonts on your system unless you are also using a font management program. Large numbers of installed fonts can bog down your system and may even cause crashes. Programs like Premiere Elements will load all installed fonts into memory on startup and, at the very least, that will slow down program startup. On a 32-bit os or 32-bit application, you may have memory issues. You also wouldn't want to overwrite newer fonts with older fonts with the same file name. That can cause formatting errors and other strange behavior. Just because the file names are the same doesn't mean the fonts are identical.

I don't collect a lot of fonts so I don't use a font management program and so can't recommend one. I keep the fonts that came with the OS and installed programs, but keep the number of installed added fonts that I download to a minimum. I download those fonts to a common folder from which I can install when needed. The fonts I use all the time will stay installed, but the specialty ones that will only be used occasionally I'll uninstall after use. You can uninstall by going to Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Fonts. Select the font(s) to be uninstalled and delete. If you delete other fonts, be careful. You can make the system or applications that depend on them unusable.
Bob

Postby Dagtall » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks much for the sound advice...I will follow that, and just looks for the font I might want to use and install that one and then uninstall it when I am done.

Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Anthony
Dagtall
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 9