They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

mpeg 2 vs mp4

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Re: mpeg 2 vs mp4

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 am

Love to hear that, Max!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Matthew Max » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:00 am

Bob, you said,
Some codecs, such as mpeg-4 AVC and AVCHD, utilize advanced compression algorithms to achieve much higher compression without excessive loss.

I would like to know what I should expect when working with AVCHD, as I do so often. In what way does higher compression happen without causing very noticeable or excessive loss? I'm thinking that this should become part of my awareness when I shoot footage.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:47 pm

AVCHD is pretty much like any other consumer level video high definition format with the exception that it is far more computationally intensive. AVCHD takes a lot of processing power to edit; People with underpowered systems are going to have difficulty working with it. I don't remember your system specs, but I think I recall that you have a beefy system. If so, you shouldn't have any significant problems with it. If you have a video card that Premiere Pro can use for gpu acceleration, that's even better.

As Steve said, video generates a lot of data. Uncompressed video is very difficult to deal with because of the enormous amounts of data that must be dealt with. Even a fast beefy system will have problems playing back uncompressed video. To make it more manageable, pretty much all video is compressed. Compression is done by a program called a Codec. Codec is a mashup of two words coder and decoder (or, alternately, compress and decompress). As the name implies, a codec is also used to decode or decompress the data when it is needed for editing or display.

Where AVCHD shines is it's ability to get far higher compression ratios than older methods while having comparable levels of data loss. It does this by using a much more sophisticated analysis and compression algorithm than the older methods.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Well, all you guys had me invest in good software and equipment, so I'm running great stuff. And now, with the explanations in this thread, I'll be more aware of all kinds of things I prefer to know.

Muchas gracias, Bob.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Previous

Return to PRE Version 9