They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

On Codecs, and 32 bit vs. 64 bit questions.

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

On Codecs, and 32 bit vs. 64 bit questions.

Postby Dagtall » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:55 pm

Hey guys,

New annual renewing member here. :meet:

Just want to complement you all on a fantastic site, Muvipix is a great resource, and has already helped me on the last project I completed.

System Info:

I have been using 32 bit Ver. of PSE9/PE9, with a Win7pro 64bit OS. I really haven't had any problems yet, other than an occasional shut down (but only when I get impatient with the transitions) - so I've gotten into the habit of treating PE9 like my wife, with gentle loving care (and saving often). :fg:

I have an Intel Core i7 3820 CPU @ 3.60ghz, an ASUS P9X79LE Motherboard, 12gb of Ram (yeah I know only four are being used with my ver. of PE9), a stupid fast solid state HD (that fills up fast, so I use WD external double raid back up HD for archiving), and a GeForce GTX 570 HD Video Card (just couldn't justify the price of the Quadro to the wifey). [-o< ](*,) :(

Codecs question:

I would like to know if there is a trusted one stop location to download all the codecs a video editor might need...or a list of trusted sites to download them from (I haven't installed anything as of yet, having to do with video editing or not, I'm paranoid about mucking up my editing machine).

Also, do I really need to install Quicktime? I have installed it on my past XP systems, but I just don't like the way it sits it's fat proprietary ass right in the middle of everything (can you tell I've never been an Apple kind of person :fg: :hyst: )...

I have shot (true AVCHD) with a Cannon Vixia HF G10 (saved 1k on the camera sacrificing XLR inputs, so I use a Zoom Handy Recorder H4n as my DAT Recorder, it has XLR inputs) and edited (with the above system) a Sweet 16, a Wedding, and a Bar Mitzvah, and all have looked completely and totally professional, so much so people have wanted to hire me...needless to say my wife wants me to take the jobs, :-8 :-s

Am I really limiting myself by not installing Quicktime?

The 32bit vs. 64bit question:

I've recently got an email sale notice from one of the other sites I am a member of (don't know if I am allowed to mention their name so I won't to play it safe) offering the PSE/PE 11 upgrade for about 75 bucks (free shipping).

I am actually finally starting to feel confident with PE9 (tho I do still have to learn PSE), and I haven't really noticed any limitations in what I have been doing (or have wanted to do) with PE9 (I know I still have a lot to learn to master PE)...are there a lot of changes from 9 to 11, is there a very big learning curve moving from 9 to 11, and will I gain anything noticeable by switching to the 64bit ver.?

Don't worry, I won't hold anyone's feet to the fire, just want a few opinions from those more knowledgeable and advanced in PE9 than myself to through my brain against... :TU:

Thanks moocho for your time and consideration all,

Dagtall (aka Anthony)
Dagtall
New User
New User

Re: On Codecs, and 32 bit vs. 64 bit questions.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:52 am

I'd recommend you do install Quicktime and keep it up to date. A number of video formats have their roots in it, and it provide most of the codec support you need. Premiere Elements will automatically download and activate any other components you'll need for virtually all other camcorder video.

Some smartphones and pocket camcorders use proprietary codecs that the program can only make a best-guess at, but you can usually get these codecs by simply installing the software that comes with your camcorder. Though Premiere Elements still may prefer to use its own built-in codec library.

I don't recommend just downloading codecs just for the sake of having them on your machine. Having them won't make necessary make Premiere Elements more versatile or make your editing go more smoothly. In fact, they may overwrite more standard codecs and mess Premiere Elements' workflow up!

But that said, if you MUST have download one codec pack, the one and only I'd recommend is the K-Lite Codec Pack (which comes bundled with some nice, free tools, like the G Spot video analyzer). You can get it here: http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

This pack will give your operating system access to a bigger library of codecs -- but it won't necessarily make Premiere Elements better able to handle a wider variety of video formats.

It all depends, I guess, on how much you like driving around with a huge toolkit in your trunk. You may get some use out of all the extra tools -- but in the end all you need to change a tire is a lug wrench, a tire iron and a jack, if you know what I mean.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Welcome Anthony to Muvipix! Good to know you have a sense of humor and you listen to your wife. Good qualities! :-D

:wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Yes, you should install Quicktime as Steve suggests. Quicktime is listed as a system requirement for Premiere Elements for the reasons Steve mentioned.

As Steve says, installing codec packs can result in problems. K-Lite is pretty widely used, but I have seen reports of problems caused by it on some systems. I'm not a big fan of codec packs. Many of the codecs in packs like that are old obsolete codecs that no one uses anymore. The codecs installed by Quicktime, Premiere Pro, and your operating system will handle most of the formats you will need in normal use. Should you find you need a specific codec, I feel it's better to download just that codec.

Steve didn't address your other question regarding the upgrade. If Premiere Elements 9 is doing the job for you, there's nothing wrong with sticking with it. But, there are some nice new features, including 64-bit support, that you may find useful. See this announcement page for some information regarding the new features: http://muvipix.com/pe11.php

Much of what you learned in Premiere Elements 9 will still apply with version 11, but there are some user interface difference that you will need to adjust to.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 9