They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Menu Systems

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Menu Systems

Postby DrBrown » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:05 pm

I have Premiere Elements 9 and am about to undertake something that is probably impossible. Hopefully you fine folks can straighten me what is and is not possible...

I want to build a custom menu template. I would like to create a template that is either a full screen picture of a water with the sound of running water. OR have an actual 20-30 second clip of the actual waterfall running, with the basic main menu and scene selection buttons. I have Photoshop CS5, which I was told I would need to edit the layers of a template. The problem is I have zero "know-how". Is something like this even possible to do? I see subscribers get some additional tutorials and such. If that's what I need to do no problem. I'm just looking to see if my "vision" above is even possible. Whether it's code or just graphic work, I make my living by Photoshop and programming so I should be able to reverse engineer a template if I can break it apart. The problem is the default templates in PRE 9 are .prtl files, which I've never seen before. Any help would be awesome. Thanks all!
DrBrown
New User
New User

Re: Menu Systems

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 am

Yes, it's possible to do what you want. In fact, if there is an existing DVD template that has the text and button styles you want, you don't even need to modify or create a template -- you can aply the menu template and add a custom menu background which can be a still or video.

If you still want to create a custom template it's best if you copy an existing template similar to what you want and modify that. DVD Menu Templates are layered Photoshop PSD files. Layers are arranged in groups for various elements and there is a naming convention that must be followed. I don't recall that the current Premiere Elements DVD template conventions have been made public. The layer naming conventions are similar to the Encore layer naming conventions -- see the Encore online help. Between that and studying an actual template, you should be able to figure it out.

The templates you were looking at, the .prtl files, are not DVD templates. They are titles or title templates. There should be a separate folder containing the DVD templates.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:37 am

Step by step instructions for modifying menu templates using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements are included in our combined Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements books, by the way. And we'll soon be releasing a set of tutorials that show you how to do it in version 11 (most of which will apply to version 9 also).
http://muvipix.com/pe9.php
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby DrBrown » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks for the replies gents. I will definitely look into getting the book on Premiere Elements. There is virtually nothing online for help tutorials so it would be good to have that.

I'll take a peek in my folders later tonight and see if I can find the dvd templates to see if I can break them apart.
DrBrown
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:39 am

BTW, welcome to Muvipix! :wcm: I do have to ask a question. What you describe can be done very easily with a program such as Sony's DVD Architect Studio menuing/disc creation software. It's very inexpensive and quite powerful with a minimal learning curve. Maybe you're looking for a challenge, or maybe you want to do things well beyond the scope of what you describe? But if you're just looking for a straightforward solution I'd suggest you check into DVDAS. Steve also has an excellent book for it too.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby DrBrown » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:16 am

I just got into the HDSLR realm of video editing so now that I'm able record high caliber video I wanted to compliment that with proper editing. There's just not much you can do with Premiere other than the basics. I'm not sure I want to get into full on animation type editing with After Effects and all that. Mostly because I don't have $1000 to spend on a program, and it's just a hobby. But it means I can't record properly (reduced sharpness and saturation) and readjust in post processing unless you spend the big bucks on AE or PrPro. My Sony SLR has quite a few "styles" built in that will be tolerable when adjust with the white balance. Not perfect, but doable.

I had already planned on buying the Sony program at some point because most people say it's very easy to use. But thanks for bringing it up anyway.
DrBrown
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:33 am

DVDAS isn't an editor; it's a dedicated menu creation and disc burning application.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:28 pm

We of course offer free Basic Training tutorials for DVD Architect also.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9