They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Is V9 as bad as my first experience with it?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Is V9 as bad as my first experience with it?

Postby Gerry » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Yes, I realize I'm a full version (almost two) behind by using v9 of Prel, but it came free with my wife's computer, so I couldn't beat the price. Until MY new computer (listed below) I'd been successfully using v4 on my old XP machine. It was great. So this is my first use of v9 on this machine.

I just shot a bunch of HD video from my new DSLR (Olympus OM-D EM-5). It records in 1920x1080 30fps, and the resultant files on the SD card are .MOV files. I set up my Prel project to reside on a second, internal hard drive (a 7200rpm Seagate) and used the DSLR 1920x1080 Full HD settings. I imported 20+ clips into the project using the "Get FiLES OR FOLDERS" button. As I put clips into the timeline, there were no red bars over the top (except for the dissolves that needed to be rendered). There was no "funny business" going on in the video -- it was "fade in from black to some colored type on black, fade out the type, fade in the clip, play the clip, fade out." No wipes, no rotating shots, no key framing, no effects.

All was well until I put in my first type. Program bombed. Rebooted and continued until I tried to preview one of the clips in the Project listing. Program froze. Rebooted the computer, re-ran the program and all was fine until I tried to scroll down the clips in the Project listing. Program froze. Added a clip to the timeline and got no video showing but the audio played.

And on and on it went like this. I realize that feeding 1920x1080 video to the computer is giving it a mouthful, but, geez, this is a brand new Win7 machine with 12gigs of memory.

I abandoned that project, removed then reinstalled Prel9 (just disk 1 this time, not the "extended features" on disk 2), and started a new project, using the AVCHD 1920x1080 setting instead, but it got too late last night to continue and see if it would be just as bad.

So is it me or the program or both or neither?

And am I going to have another evening tonight like last night?
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Is V9 as bad as my first experience with it?

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi Gerry,
Please check to see that you have the most current version of Quicktime and the most current video driver for that graphics card. Let us know if updating these fixes the problem ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Did you set up your video project properly for that video source, Gerry? If you did, you should not see red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline.

If you're seeing red lines above your clips before you add any effects or transitions, then you're not matching project to video, and that will result in poor performance and lots of problems.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Did you set up your video project properly for that video source, Gerry? If you did, you should not see red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline.

If you're seeing red lines above your clips before you add any effects or transitions, then you're not matching project to video, and that will result in poor performance and lots of problems.

No, sir. As I said:

Gerry wrote:As I put clips into the timeline, there were no red bars over the top (except for the dissolves that needed to be rendered).

Chuck Engels wrote:Hi Gerry,
Please check to see that you have the most current version of Quicktime and the most current video driver for that graphics card. Let us know if updating these fixes the problem ;)

Good idea! I have the most recent version of Quicktime (just checked) and am downloading the latest video driver right this second.

I'll report back after Round 2 tonight.

Thanks, you guys!
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 pm

I do not use version 9. I have version 10, but I am still using version 7. Wasn't there a patch file for version 9? Maybe this might help, or is my memory bad?

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Gerry » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:08 pm

Round 2: Better, but still disappointing. Turned out I had the current versions of both QuickTime and my video driver. But I played more gingerly tonight, and saved a new version after everything I did.

Literally ever time I added type then tried to play back the movie, it froze (probably a total of 20 times). I got the "Prel has stopped working" error message. I shut down the program, restarted it, and the video would then play through the new type just fine. Go figure.

Instead of adding multiple clips at once via the "Files and Folders" command, I added them one at a time, since it always seemed to choke on the "conforming" aspect last night.

Several times when I'd add a clip, the "preview" frame would come in as solid green, yet the clip would play fine when added to the timeline. Several times I'd add that "green" clip, save the project, try to play it and the program would freeze ("encountered an error"). When I restarted the program and re-played the project, it would play through just fine. (I never rebooted the computer all night.)

Finally, when I tried to render the dissolves and type (hitting ENTER), it would freeze the program. I'd re-start it, render to about 20% then cancel, save the project, render again to about 20%, cancel, save, render to 20%, etc. That seemed to work for a while.

I haven't tried burning it to Blu-Ray yet. That's tomorrow night's frustration.

But this IS very frustrating. I realize I'm asking the computer to do a ton of work, but, seriously, this feels like the early days of home computer editing again, using Studio 4 on a Windows 2000 machine. Work, save, crash. Work, save, crash.

God forbid I should add any effects or fancy transitions!

I know all of this is touchy and I realize there's no "one answer" I'm expecting to hear from you guys. I was hoping, though, that there would have been some sort of panacea cure discovered over the last year, where you'd say, "Oh, just turn off your network connection and it'll be fine" (or something).

Alas...

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:52 am

Hi Gerry. I note from your sig that you have CS5. If that includes PPro then, presumably, no problems using that(?).
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:59 am

Gerry wrote:Yes, I realize I'm a full version (almost two) behind by using v9 of Prel, but it came free with my wife's computer, so I couldn't beat the price. Until MY new computer (listed below) I'd been successfully using v4 on my old XP machine. It was great....

I, too, had great success with PRE4 on my XP machine and, now, even better success with PRE7 on the Win7 machine in my signature.

I tried PRE 8, 9 and 10 on that same Win7 machine, but like Vernon I ended up staying with PRE7, as it functioned far better than any of the other newer versions for the work that I do, which is slide shows, all of them exclusively HD.

Are you also using Win7 Home Premium?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 am

Since you said you had trouble with Titles, I thought I would reiterate, do you have the latest patch for version 9?

December 21, 2010. Adobe has just released the Premiere Elements 9 Update (PC) which is described by it

Quote:
This update improves stability and consists of the fixes for some of the issues as reported by the users through various forums.

This update resolves the following issues:
1. Title related crashes
2. Issues related to incompatible Display driver for certain Graphic (GPU) Cards
3. Other Bug Fixes

According to the instructions, you can download this update via the program's Help Menu/Updates. Also there appears to be a download of the update available from the Adobe web site:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4929

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Gerry » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:01 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Hi Gerry. I note from your sig that you have CS5. If that includes PPro then, presumably, no problems using that(?).

I don't actually have the CS5 suite, but individual programs: Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.

George Tyndall wrote:I tried PRE 8, 9 and 10 on that same Win7 machine, but like Vernon I ended up staying with PRE7, as it functioned far better than any of the other newer versions for the work that I do, which is slide shows, all of them exclusively HD.

Are you also using Win7 Home Premium?

I'm using Win 7 Professional. But interesting about Prel7. Maybe I should try to find one on ebay.

VernonRobinson wrote:Since you said you had trouble with Titles, I thought I would reiterate, do you have the latest patch for version 9?

December 21, 2010. Adobe has just released the Premiere Elements 9 Update (PC) which is described by it

Dang! I meant to do that but totally spaced. Thanks for the reminder, Vernon. That's tonight's quest.

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 am

Gerry wrote:I'm using Win 7 Professional. But interesting about Prel7. Maybe I should try to find one on ebay.

My personal preference if working with HD on a 64 bit system would be either Version 10, or wait until the new version comes out and see what people say about it. If it follows the usual schedule that will likely happen in the next month or two. V7 is a good version, but it can't take advantage of 64 bit.

First, though, see if the problem can be solved by other means. The behavior you describe isn't normal or expected for V9.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Gerry » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:02 am

Well, the program update seemed to help a lot. I deleted a few titles and re-entered them after the update and had no crashes at all. So thanks again.

My new problem is trying to "share" the 1 hr 5 min. HD movie as an MPEG to the hard disk. I tried using both MPEG2 1920x1080 30fps and MPEG21440x1080 30fps settings. I had four crashes that occurred at various points in the rendering portion, and one time it said it had finished, but only half of the movie had actually been written to the hard drive. And this was after a computer reboot.

I downloaded DVD Architect Studio to actually set up the disk, but I can't seem to get to that point yet!

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:39 am

Gerry wrote:My new problem is trying to "share" the 1 hr 5 min. HD movie as an MPEG to the hard disk. I tried using both MPEG2 1920x1080 30fps and MPEG21440x1080 30fps settings. I had four crashes that occurred at various points in the rendering portion, and one time it said it had finished, but only half of the movie had actually been written to the hard drive.

These problems can often be due to small gaps in the timeline which happen accidently during the editing process while cutting and deleting. Zoom in on the timeline on each point where there's a cut and make sure that you don't have any empty frames. They're often not obvious when zoomed out because they may only be a frame or two.

Zoomed-out.jpg

Zoomed-in.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Gerry » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks, Dave. I checked and re-checked it, and there didn't appear to be any problems. So I dunno.

However, on going through DVD Architect Studio tonight, I realized my disk would be best served by creating individual movies rather than one long one with timeline markers. So that's what I did, and each of the segments (longest was 30 minutes) rendered just fine. My first Blu-Ray disk is "baking" right now (only 2 hr 40 minutes to go...), so the proof will be in the pudding. Or viewing, as the case may be.

Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:01 am

Glad to see that the update helped. You will find the menuing capabilities of DVD Architect are very strong. I am now trying out Encore, and it is also a very strong contender, though I beilieve it is no longer available as a standalone product. This makes DVDA an even more compelling choice.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 9