They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

rendering, Project removal, & capturing from SD card

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

rendering, Project removal, & capturing from SD card

Postby The Director » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:26 am

My usual routine is to render at the end of each session. All red lines now green. I save and then quit premier. The next time I load the project, I find the items I rendered are now red again. This happens only with titles or transitions.

After I finish my project & create a Quick time movie file for later burning, I want to move all files and original footage to an external drive to free up space on my MAC HD. Suggestions?

I capture footage by putting the SD cards into a card reader and up load via the USB cable. Once I capture I assume my footage is now a part of my project, yet if I disonnect the card reader or pull my SD card out, all h... breaks loose. So I always need to keep the card and reader connected. Why?
The Director
New User
New User

Re: rendering, Project removal, & capturing from SD card

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:37 am

The best way to bring your media into your project is to use Premiere Elements' Get Media tools. These tools will import the media into your project AND copy it over to your computer. If you just import the file, you're just linking to the files that are still on the card -- and, as you've found, once you remove the card the links are broken.

So use the Get Media tools.

There are many ways to move your media files to your external drive. It depends on whether you want to just move them or if you want them to maintain links to your project files.

As for the rendering/rerendering issue, that was a bug in versions 8 and 9. It's been fixed in version 10 and, if you render your timeline and then save the file, when you next open your project it will still be rendered.

And, hey, Welcome to Muvipix, Director! It's always nice to have a few more Mac users on our site.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby The Director » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. As for capturing, I had two SD cards.The first SD card was captured via my HDV camera. When I did try to capture the second card, the capture window indicates "no
HDV camera detected" The film has been edited for picture content. All the clips are done. My SD card reader is not connected to the computer. Nothing changed when I just ejected it. Will I need to reconnect it for the next session I open? Should I just keep it plugged in and finish the movie? You mention an upgrade for Prem 9. Is it a downloadable upgrade? Nice have the "boss" help me out. Have a nice Thanksgiving.
The Director
New User
New User

Postby The Director » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Steve

Just found out what I was doing wrong. My Samsung HDV camera is an AVCHD format. I kept trying to connect to the HDV Camcorder format. Since I've finished editing for picture, do I need to recapture the video on this SD Card? I don't want to loose all the edits.
The Director
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:50 pm

I'm not sure how you're capturing to a card, Director. I think you're just saving to a card. Once it's there, just leave the card in the camcorder, connect the camcorder via USB and use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk Camcorder to open the Video Importer. You should use it to get the video from the camcorder/card into your project.

The reason this is all a bit confusing is that you've confused some of the vocabulary. Here are some simple definitions.

HDV is a tape-based hi-def video system. Your camcorder is not an HDV camcorder, so you shouldn't be using any tools or settings for HDV. HDV video is CAPTURED in real time using Premiere Elements or a capture utility.

AVCHD is a hard drive/card/storage high-def video format. This is what you have. Video from AVCHD camcorders is IMPORTED or downloaded into a project. When you use Premiere Elements' Video Importer tool to import the video into your project, it simultaneously adds the video to your project and copies it to your computer's hard drive.

You can't work with video while it's still on your card or in your camcorder, even if you've linked the video to your project. You need to use the Video Importer or Finder to copy the video to your computer.

Make sense?

Hey, check out my free 8-part Basic Training tutorials. They'll make a lot of this clear -- though our Muvipix Guide book goes into step by step detail.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 2&btn.y=15
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9