They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

A shortcut to saving AVI and re-importing?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

A shortcut to saving AVI and re-importing?

Postby Hawk10Vid » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi:

I have a large number of video clips I did for a client (95 to be exact) that I am going to use to cut and paste together a number of different videos for his website. I want to edit the clips, and then be able to easily grab them to add to any video. I was planning to save them as AVI files which I could then grab out of the video library. The only thing is that that after I save each clip as an AVI out to a file folder, I then have to go back out and inport them back into the library through the 'Get Media' function. Is there anyway to skip the step of re-inporting the saved AVI files back into the PE video library? Thanks?

Hawkeye
Hawk10Vid

Re: A shortcut to saving AVI and re-importing?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:27 pm

When you do Share an AVI from a project, it is automatically added to the Organizer catalog, if that's what you mean by the "library".

But if you mean is there a way to output a video and have it automatically appear in your Project media panel, then the answer is no, not in version 9.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:48 pm

A faster way to get the videos back into the library is to drag and drop them from Windows Explorer to the Organizer or Project media bin.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Hawk10Vid » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks for those replies. Two related questions. When I 'share' to an AVI file, the file size is shown as 720 X 480. I am losing the high resolution 1920 X 1080 that it was recorded in by my Panasonic HD cam. Is there any way to save it to an AVI with the higher resolution? If not, how can I save an edited highdef project file clip (.MTS) so that I can grab it and combine with similar file clips into one project. I don't find anyway in the books to 'merge' clips from two different saved project files. I would like to be able to pre-edit the original .MTS files, save them in highdef (AVI or whatever format that keeps it highdef, reload (get media) them into the media library, and then be able to mix and match pre-edited clips together into a complete video. Is there some way to do this? Thanks, again. Hawkeye
Hawk10Vid

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:15 pm

In my books I always recommend, for hi-def video, you use Share/Computer/MPEG with the 1440x1080 30 fps preset. This will produce an M2T file that imports perfectly into a project set up for HDV.

(1440x1080 and 1920x1080 video, by the way, are exactly the same size and virtually the same resolution. The 1440x1080 MPEG just uses more traditional non-square television pixels. But you won't lose any quality or change the frame size if you output your 1920x1080 video as 1440x1080.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9