They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Degrading photo quality?

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Degrading photo quality?

Postby Jayell » Sat May 14, 2011 11:04 pm

So I open my jpg in Photoshop in order to change the File Info (Edit->File Info). I make NO changes to the photo itself. Being as indecisive as I am, I end up opening, changing something in the File Info, and saving several times. Am I degrading the photo quality by the repeated saves?
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Degrading photo quality?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 15, 2011 8:19 am

Yes. But only because it's a JPEG.

TIFs and PSDs use no compression. That's why their files are so large. Every pixel is saved.

JPEGs use a compression in which pixels of similar color are averaged every time you save the file. Depending on the level of compression you're using, this averaging can be mild or it can be extreme. That's why JPEGs sometimes produce "artifacts" when highly compressed or re-compressed several times.

Even by the act of just opening and then re-saving the file, you're re-compressing your JPEG.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Sun May 15, 2011 10:13 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Even by the act of just opening and then re-saving the file, you're re-compressing your JPEG.

I think I already knew that. Just hate the idea of having to go back to the psd every time to change something that only affects the jpg. :( Guess I'll have to find a slightly different workflow for this project.
Thanks, Steve.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun May 15, 2011 12:05 pm

That's what the modern huge capacity hard drives are for. :) If I'm editing or creating a graphics file I always have the psd available. If I make a change it happens in the psd first. I agree it's a bit more hassle, but no worries about the resaves.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby mark hansen » Sun May 15, 2011 12:10 pm

UMMM looks like I'm in the same boat. As I run my high res photos through photo shot to get the pix down to 1000, would it be better to save them to PSD instead back to jpg. I'm thinking because of this string, if I reopened them from CS3 into Photoshop, I wouldn't lose anything.

Will the larger file size of the PSD hurt CS3 (longer rendering, process instability etc ) vice keeping them in JPG?

Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Jayell » Sun May 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:That's what the modern huge capacity hard drives are for. :)

Oh, you mean so that I can litter my hard drive with useless and confusing stuff, wondering why I have all these files? :-D I always keep the psd, but unfortunately almost every time I'm saving to jpg, I'm reducing the pixel dimensions, so I was trying to avoid saving TWO of each one. Well, piffel!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sun May 15, 2011 1:57 pm

You can change the metadata in Bridge without recompressing a jpg.

Alternately, you can save your file in .PNG format which is lossless -- you can resave it as many times as you want in Photoshop without degrading the image. Just be sure your image mode is RGB color and not Indexed or grayscale (which would produce an indexed PNG file similar to a GIF).

And, of course, PSD files are lossless too.
Bob

Postby Jayell » Sun May 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Bob wrote:You can change the metadata in Bridge without recompressing a jpg.

Bingo! That worked. I should have known .. Bridge does sooooo much stuff. Bob saves the day again. :-D

Bob wrote:Just be sure your image mode is RGB color and not Indexed or grayscale (which would produce an indexed PNG file similar to a GIF).

I'm not quite following this, Bob. Could you explain further? Because it seems like a lot of my stuff comes into Photoshop indexed, which I don't really understand.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sun May 15, 2011 3:56 pm

...it seems like a lot of my stuff comes into Photoshop indexed, which I don't really understand.

That sounds strange. Other than GIF, most files are RGB mode these days. What sorts of files are coming in indexed?
Bob

Postby Jayell » Sun May 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Bob wrote: What sorts of files are coming in indexed?

Without doing an exhaustive search, they probably ARE gifs, Bob. I do a lot of work with small graphics. But I'll keep my eye on it to make sure that's all it is.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon May 16, 2011 1:46 am

FWIW my Photoshop workflow is original pics from camera imported as RAW files. Any subsequent work is saved as .psd files.

Anything used in videos is batch converted for size in Photoshop then saved in the video working directory.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Jayell » Mon May 16, 2011 10:43 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Anything used in videos is batch converted for size in Photoshop then saved in the video working directory.

I've got to get back to this. I used to have files in specific working directories, but my videos tend to go on (some for years), and I'll use the same photos in different videos, so I felt like I had too many copies around .. but NOT doing that has caused lots of issues. And for now, I have plenty of hard drive space.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby mark hansen » Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 pm

I keep my photos from my camera on a seperate external HD (backed up on a second HD). They are in folders by the date they were shot and tagged in Bridge so I can find them. Photos I put in videos are ran through PS to reduce the pix and stored in a video stills folder as part of the project. I usually create a temp action to SaveAs in a seperate folder. When the project is over, those get deleted when the project folder is deleted, keeping the orginal file untouched.

The question for me when I run them to PS, its sounds like I should save a PSD rather than JPG in the project folder.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Photoshop