They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Blend modes & color issues

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Blend modes & color issues

Postby Jayell » Tue May 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Here's one for you serious Photoshoppers. I know just enough to be dangerous. :???:
I have these two photos.

photo-bookcover.jpg

I know how to get them together using a selection, then PASTE INTO. So far, so good.

picture-on-cover.jpg

What I want is to blend them such that the binding edges on the back show through. I know to flip through each of the blend modes to see which ones accomplish that the best.

book-cover-blended.jpg

But when I do that, I lose the original color. Every photo is different, due to colors, etc. I've gotten a couple that work great.
I've also tried using an adjustment layer .. but once the blend mode is applied, it pretty much screws up all the adjustments. The issue for me is getting the binding to show through, while maintaining the original color (or close to it). Is there another way to approach this?

Using PS-CS5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Blend modes & color issues

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 10, 2011 7:35 pm

I'd have suggested Blending Modes too. Although if Overlay doesn't work, the others probably won't.

Try making a copy of the book's cover and pasting it to a new layer, ABOVE the artwork, then use a Blending Mode on that layer (so that the cover is blending with the photo rather than the other way around).
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Helen » Tue May 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi
I think you have to use a Displacement Map or the "Filter/Distort/Displace". I have not done this for quite awhile so I cannot remember the exact procedure. I done a quick google and came up with a couple of links not sure how good they are, but should you give a bit of a start.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/texture-map/

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/dispmap/dispmap.htm

There maybe another way, and later today when I use Photoshop I will have a quick look.
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Tue May 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'd have suggested Blending Modes too. Although if Overlay doesn't work, the others probably won't.

Overlay actually works pretty well, when I desaturate the blue out of the book. I think that's what was causing most of the trouble.

Steve Grisetti wrote:Try making a copy of the book's cover and pasting it to a new layer, ABOVE the artwork, then use a Blending Mode on that layer (so that the cover is blending with the photo rather than the other way around).

This is interesting, Steve. Hadn't thought of this. It didn't solve the issue in this case, but it did provide a new set of blending combinations.Something to keep in mind for future projects.

I'm also taking a Lynda.com course in blending modes shortly. That should help :-D
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Tue May 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Helen wrote: I done a quick google and came up with a couple of links not sure how good they are, but should you give a bit of a start ..

Thanks for the ideas & links, Helen. Will look at these when I get a minute.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Wed May 11, 2011 8:42 am

I was going to suggest starting with a white book, but my PS skills are trial by error. Just wanted to say thanks Jayell for posting the photos with your question. Please post more PS stuff like this as you learn. I could use the tips!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Wed May 11, 2011 12:35 pm

momoffduty wrote: Please post more PS stuff like this as you learn. I could use the tips!

Cheryl, I've taken many Lynda.com tutorials, but one source I love for (FREE!) tips is http://www.scrappersguide.com/category/tips_ps/. You can go back for pages. Each tip is just a 5 or 10 minute project, and you end up with a finished project and perhaps some new skills. I believe it was Munickster that first provided the link to them. I'm not into scrapbooking, but they've got the best resources for just learning photoshop skills!

My first 'blending' project from a Lynda.com tutorial on Creative Compositing turned out like this
I started with these photos).

photos.JPG

.. and with a few layer masks, adjustment layers, and a lot of playing, tweaking, moving, and fiddling, ended up with this:

j-d-blending.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Wed May 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks Jayell for the link, bookmarked! And wow, that blending project looks professional. :TU: Please post any other projects, love to see what you come up with.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Photoshop