They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Learning Layer masks

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Learning Layer masks

Postby Jayell » Thu May 05, 2011 1:51 pm

After recently switching from PSE7 to PS-CS5, I'm fascinated with Layer Masks .. and found a Lynda.com "Layer Masks in Depth" tutorial .. but it's taught in CS4. Does anyone know if there were major changes to Layer Masks in CS5 that would preclude me from benefiting from a CS4 tutorial (or making it confusing).
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Learning Layer masks

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 05, 2011 3:35 pm

They shouldn't be significantly different. At least the principles are the same.

BTW, Adobe also added Layer Masks to Photoshop Elements 9!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Thu May 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:They shouldn't be significantly different. At least the principles are the same.

Yes, I figured that. And I think I actually know enough about Layer Masks to work my way through it even if there are some differences. I just hate to make a big decision without checking in here first. :lol: Thanks, Steve
Steve Grisetti wrote:BTW, Adobe also added Layer Masks to Photoshop Elements 9!

That's interesting .. since that's a major feature of PSPro.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Thu May 05, 2011 3:47 pm

You shouldn't have any problems. Layer mask capabilities are pretty much the same between the CS4 and CS5 versions. If you use the CS5 refine mask feature, just be aware that the refine edges option brings up the new CS5 refine edges dialog.
Bob

Postby Jayell » Thu May 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks, Bob. Figured it couldn't be too different.
I am still so awed by what can be done in Photoshop!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon May 16, 2011 7:53 pm

We see Layer Masks as a function, that has been around for several versions, but in reality, they are a "concept." The ability to mask with Alpha Channels has been around from about PS 3.0, but the ability to attach them to a Layer is a bit newer.

For me, just behind Layers, Layer Masks are one of the most important additions to PS, since its release.

Over the years, about the only addition was the inclusion of the Add Layer Mask icon in the Layers Palette. There might be little additional functions and maybe a little "wizard" here, or there, but the concept is the exact same.

Once one gets that concept, they will very likely never work without Layer Masks. They make life so very easy, and allow for editing years later, so long as one has Saved the working file as a PSD.

I cannot tell you exactly what has changed/been added in PS 5/5.1, as I have been waiting for my new laptop to install.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop