They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Changing margins for type

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Changing margins for type

Postby Jayell » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm sure if I played with this for another 3 days I could figure it out .. however ..

So I've created a layer of type (specifying the margin borders) .. and typed my message. Now I've decided that i want the margins for the type to be narrower. How do I change the size of margins for the type WITHOUT changing the font size that already exists within them? I think I did it once by accident ..but don't know what I did. :???: Using Photoshop CS5
letter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Changing margins for type

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:27 pm

In the layers panel, double click on the icon for the layer of text you want to modify. A bounding box will show around the text with square handles on the sides and corners. Move the cursor over one of the handles until the cursor changes to indicate that you can drag the handle. Click and drag to the desired size. The text will flow to fit the new bounding box without changing the attributes of the text.
Bob

Postby Jayell » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:52 pm

That seems sort of counterintuitive .. but then I think I'll be very quiet, since it solved my issue. ;)
Thanks much, Bob!!
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:31 pm

I should have mentioned that if you don't want to change the size of the bounding box and just want to modify the paragraph settings, all you have to do is click on the text layer in the layer panel to make it the active layer and display the paragraph panel (Window>Paragraph from the main menu). You can now change the paragraph settings for that block of text.

I generally prefer the modify the bounding box method as I want to maintain consistency of paragraph settings from one text block to another.
Bob

Postby Jayell » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Bob wrote:I should have mentioned

My education in Photoshop hadn't gotten that far yet. That's very helpful. Thanks!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Photoshop