They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Viewing psd files in Windows Explorer

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Viewing psd files in Windows Explorer

Postby Jayell » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:49 pm

In Windows Explorer I've set Quicktime Photo viewer as my default file viewer for psds .. as it's the only one I'm aware of that will display them. That has all worked fine for quite some time .. until I recently switched to Photoshop Pro. Now each time I try to view a psd file created in PS Pro (using Windows Explorer) it looks something like this:
newpsdview.jpg

What's different about the Pro files?!? ](*,)
.. or how do I get around this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Viewing psd files in Windows Explorer

Postby momoffduty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:10 pm

I can't answer your question, but why not use Bridge?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:54 pm

momoffduty wrote: why not use Bridge?

1. Haven't gotten in the habit yet.
2. My tablet pen sometimes double clicks when that wasn't my intention. So I end up opening Photoshop when I don't need it.
3. I QUITE often need to switch between the thumbnail and detail listings available in Windows Explorer.
4. I can see a lot more thumbnails on the page if I'm looking for something in particular.
5. Windows Explorer allows me to sort by date, file type, size, etc. (If Bridge does I haven't learned that yet).

Edit: I see how to sort, but can't see the relevant info after the sort.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Quicktime Photo Viewer depends on having an embedded composite image in the PSD file. It apparently doesn't check to see if a composite image is actually present, If one is missing, Photo Viewer will try to display it anyway and you'll get something like what you posted.

The solution is simple. Open Photoshop and edit preferences. Under the File Handling category, set "Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility" to "Always". Then, when you save an image as a PSD file, it will include the composite image and Photo Viewer will display it.

For PSD files that you've already created without an embedded composite, you will need to open them and save them to create the embedded composite.
Bob

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:04 pm

1. Haven't gotten in the habit yet.
2. My tablet pen sometimes double clicks when that wasn't my intention. So I end up opening Photoshop when I don't need it.
3. I QUITE often need to switch between the thumbnail and detail listings available in Windows Explorer.
4. I can see a lot more thumbnails on the page if I'm looking for something in particular.
5. Windows Explorer allows me to sort by date, file type, size, etc. (If Bridge does I haven't learned that yet).

#1 Can't help much with this one.

#2 you might be able to adjust the double click sensitivity in the tablet driver.

#3 There is a button on the lower right side that will do that for you in bridge. Look at "view content as list". You can also "view content as detail". If you get things too mixed up, you can reset the workspace.

#4 There is a slider on the bottom right that allows you to set the size of the thumbnails, you can make them very tiny. Also, there is a Light Table workspace which suppresses panels to give you even more room.

#5 Ok, you found how to sort. If you want the date, type, size, etc. listed underneath the thumbnail, you can set the Bridge preference to list 4 lines containing your choice of item. I don't really find this all that useful as I can easily get that by looking at the metadata panel on a specific image or in the list view if looking at many. Also, don't overlook the filtering options.
Bob

Postby Jayell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:05 am

Bob wrote:The solution is simple. Open Photoshop and edit preferences.

Oh, I love simple solutions. :blob3:
Thanks! .. and fortunately I've made few enough new files that it'll be easy to go back and re-save them.

HOW DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS STUFF?!? image037
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:12 am

Jayell wrote:HOW DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS STUFF?!? image037

This is the question that Muvipixers have been asking for centuries all throughout the galaxy :CS:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:18 am

Bob wrote:#2 you might be able to adjust the double click sensitivity

Yeah, everything worked great until I was having some issues with the brush sensitivity and started messing around with it. :(
Bob wrote:#3 There is a button on the lower right side ..
#4 There is a slider on the bottom right ..
#5 If you want the date, type, size, etc. listed underneath the thumbnail, you can ..

Wow! I now know a lot more than I did a few minutes ago. I didn't even SEE some of those knobs and buttons down in the right hand corner. 8-[

Thanks, Bob. I'm not really expecting you to step me through the learning process. I've stuffed my head with so many hours of tutorials, I think some of it's starting to spill out onto the floor. :-D
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:02 am

Jayell wrote:I've stuffed my head with so many hours of tutorials, I think some of it's starting to spill out onto the floor. :-D

Do persevere with Bridge. Once you are used to it you'll wonder why you never used it before. The Lynda "Photoshop CS5 Essentials" covers Bridge quite thoroughly.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:40 am

You probably knew it already, but I thought I had better mention it. If you open a file and don't make any changes, "save" is disabled and greyed out. You can either use "save as" and save to the same file name, or you can trick Photoshop into thinking the image changed by clicking a layer "eye" icon off and back on or make a change and undo it. That will enable "save".
Bob

Postby Jayell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:46 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Do persevere with Bridge. Once you are used to it you'll wonder why you never used it before

I'm already leaning in that direction after trying out a few of Bob's pointers on how to sort, view, etc.
Bob wrote:You probably knew it already, but I thought I had better mention it.

I'd rather have a touch too much info, than not quite enough. I did fix all those files last nite.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:04 am

Jayell wrote: I've stuffed my head with so many hours of tutorials, I think some of it's starting to spill out onto the floor. :-D

When I first got PrPro I watched too many tuts all in one day and ended up with motion sickness. :shock:

Jayell, getting the suite all at once is a lot of changes. But, the good news is that you have a full grasp and experience already that should make the learning curve less.

(Bob does have alien brain power :-$ ) Add that to the brain power of 'the boys of Muvipix' (husband coined that phrase) and I can't imagine a question going unanswered around here. :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Jayell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 pm

momoffduty wrote:Jayell, getting the suite all at once is a lot of changes.

My problem is I can't stay focused on one thing because there's so much fun stuff out there. Ooh Actions .. I think I'll download a few and play with those .. but those Brushes look really fun too .. but there's this really cool tutorial for a fun graphic to make .. but I really should start working on Premiere .. oh wait, I guess I should get a handle on Bridge first .. and when am I going to have time to look at Illustrator .. and maybe I should get into Encore rather than spending more time learning DVD Architect .. oh but what about .. 8-[
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:53 pm

And then there's the problem of deciding what to do AFTER lunch! :-D
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Jayell » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:And then there's the problem of deciding what to do AFTER lunch! :-D

:lol:
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Photoshop