They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Understanding Photo Printing

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Understanding Photo Printing

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:56 pm

I am looking for a good online printing guide or book that will help me to print images in the same color as I see in the monitor.
There are so many settings and profiles, then there are monitor calibration tools http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MO ... IBRATE.HTM
And it's just too much to try and get my arms around right now.

My HP printer just died and I found a great deal on a Canon Pixma MP990 ($115 at Micro Center). Now I want the colors to match as close as possible but they are a little off, a bit too much blue and not quite enough red. Would like to be able to adjust the image in the software and then have it print what I see, exactly if possible. Close enough isn't good enough anymore, I am looking for perfection :)

So I turn to the folks that know everything there is to know about everything, the Muvipix Members :)

I know that some of you swear by the monitor calibration, but how does that relate to the printer and the printed image?
Another question I have is what should the color handling be set to, the printer, the software, or none?
What about Color Management, ICC, Driver or None?

I am using Photoshop CS4 Extended and Photoshop Elements 9.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Understanding Photo Printing

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:59 am

AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:02 am

I've always thought that Ian Lyons did a good job of explaining the Photoshop color management settings. He has writeups for various versions of Photoshop, the CS4 writeup is here: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps11_colour/ps11_1.htm. There is a lot of info there but it's worth reading all of it.

For what you want to do you really should get a colorimeter. Software only calibration tools are only as good as your eyeballs and that's not all that good. I use the XRITE i1 Display 2 colorimeter and have been pretty happy with it.

Ideally, you should calibrate your printer too. You can do that yourself if you have the right tools (usually expensive). However, there are places where you can print a target and send it to them and they will generate a custom profile for you. I haven't tried it yet, but Vuescan has a way to calibrate both the scanner and the printer using a standard it8 target. I'm thinking of giving that a try sometime and see if that produces acceptable results.

The printer manufacturer usually provides a generic profile for the printer. But, that's an average and may not reflect your printer accurately. On the other hand, it could be close.

If you have an accurate custom printer profile, you should turn off color management in the printer and let photoshop manage it. If not, you may get better results if you let the printer manage the printing.

One of the biggest problems is that LCD monitors are too bright causing the prints to look too dark by comparison. I turned down the luminance of my monitor ( the i1 d2 can measure that and give you an accurate reading) and I now get an excellant match.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:36 am

Bob wrote:I use the XRITE i1 Display 2 colorimeter

I use that one too. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks guys :)

I usually don't even look at the About.com pages but this one looks like it has a lot of detailed information, will check it out.
Will digest what you both have recommended and post here with additional questions, thanks again :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:20 pm

I don't agree with the statement on the about.com page about color management being primarily intended for people in a pre-press environment. That's nonsense. Be careful with the links on that page. Some point to good information, some don't, and a lot of what they point to is very dated.

I really think your best bet is to read the Ian Lyons article that applies to your version of Photoshop and then ask questions.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:19 pm

Good idea, will do Bob.

I also found this but haven't had time to look at it yet either
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/How_To_Ge ... My_Printer

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop