They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Moving up to Pro

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Moving up to Pro

Postby Jayell » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:46 pm

I currently use PSE7, PE7 (and Dreamweaver MX2004). I'd like very much to upgrade to Photoshop & Premiere Pro. Looking at Adobe's site I'd have to purchase CS5 Master Suite to get 'upgrades' for the 3 programs I currently use. If I just purchased those 3 individually, however, I'd save a considerable amount of money. What I'm wondering is what I'd be missing out on by not having some of the other goodies. I don't do this professionally, but do enjoy 'seriously' playing and don't mind spending a little money for those toys.

Just looking for thoughts from those that use the suites as to whether they (which look like they have a ton of stuff I'd never use) are really worthwhile. Computer specs listed below.

.. and are there betters times of the year for better pricing?
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Moving up to Pro

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Which three programs did you buy upgrades to, Jayell?

Photoshop is pretty much a given. (Although for online and video use, you might be able to get buy with Photo Elements.) Photoshop Extended includes tools for creating 3D images, which can take your After Effects work to the next level.

Premiere Pro and After Effects both work together well. Encore is great if you want to create professional-style discs -- although there are consumer (DVD Architect Studio) and prosumer alternatives that might do the job for less of an investment. Likewise, you may be able to get by with a cheaper alternative to the Soundbooth audio editor.

That would likely be enough to do some serious video work! Or, since you upgraded Dreamweaver, are you more interested in web work?

As you probably know, there are a number of Creative Suite bundles, depending on whether you're doing print, web or video production work. And then there's the Master bundle that's got them all.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks for the info, Steve. I haven't upgraded anything yet .. just looking for input before putting my money down. My Web work is pretty minor, so the important ones to me are really Photoshop & Premiere. Just wanted to make sure I didn't just buy those, then find out I'm really missing some great stuff that comes with the Suites.

I do use DVD Architect, so maybe Encore wouldn't buy me much more. Also use Audacity for what little sound work I do. I'm playing with mixing and matching all the suites so see what is most cost effective for me.

Still interested in input from anyone else that might have comments on any of the other programs that comes with the Suites.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:08 pm

One big factor to consider in your decision is the upgrade cost to the next version. The initial cost of buying a suite is substantial, but the upgrade cost once you have it is much less. I had a similar decision last year and when I cranked through the numbers it was clear that I would be better off getting a suite rather than the individual products.

In your case, using the Adobe store prices for simplicity and uniformity, if you were to get the Production Premium Suite and upgrade your Dreamweaver separately it would cost you $1898 (1699 for Production Premium + 199 for the Dreamweaver upgrade assuming your version is eligible to upgrade to CS5). The upgrade prices have been relatively stable so I would assume that the next release will have comparable prices. When you upgrade to the next release, it would cost $798 (599 for the suite and 199 for dreamweaver).

Compare that to the individual products. The Photoshop Extended upgrade from Photoshop Elements is 899, Premiere Pro upgrade from Premiere Elements is 699. The three products together would be $1797 and the next upgrade would be $847 (349 for Photoshop Extended, 299 for Premiere Pro, and 199 for Dreamweaver).

Just for completeness, the Master Suite is $2599 and the upgrade is $899.

Getting the Production Premium Suite will also get you After Effects and additional suite products. Toss that in and the suite is the clear winner. And, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Encore when obtained as part of the suite have Dynamic Link which saves you from having to render out intermediate clips to pass from one program to the other. A real time saver.
Bob

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Some additional comments.

I have Production Premium CS5 and love it. I don't use all the suite products, mainly I use Photoshop Extended, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Encore -- Dynamic link is a real time saver. I've also used Soundbooth. I don't have a need for Flash and the related products.

Photoshop Extended is definitely desirable. You can do things with movies and 3D objects that you can't do in the standard edition of Photoshop. And, it comes with the Production Suite.
Bob

Postby Jayell » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks so much for the info, Bob! Hadn't even thought about the n-e-x-t upgrade (that's the kind of info I was looking for). :-D I was definately leaning toward the Production Suite (the programs you listed are the same I'm most interested in) .. and I can decide later whether or not I need the latest Dreamweaver (mine is too aged for upgrading) :(

Other than Amazon, are there any other reputable places to perhaps get a slight edge on pricing?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Stick with a reputable company. There are many places selling pirated/hacked/counterfeit copies at steeply discounted prices -- avoid them. Most legitimate companys, such as Amazon and B&H Photo, are selling it at about a 10% discount. If you are a member of NAPP (National Assiociation of Photoshop Professionals), they have a good discount. I don't remember what it is, I'm thinking 15%. Maybe a NAPP member could tell us what it is. Adobe frequently offers comparable discounts at the Adobe store. They had a 15% discount last fall and a 10% that just ended last month. If you create an Adobe Account and sign up for notification of offers and upgrades, they will email periodic offers some of which are very good.

The best deals are with educational editions. If you are a student or teacher and qualify for the educational discount, it can't be beat.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:27 pm

I moved from PRE3 to PPro CS3 and I really like it. It did not take a whole lot to cross learn and I am very happy with the switch. From my experience PPro has a much better developed engine and the result is that Pro does things better. I am doing all HD and where PRE3 would chug and breath Pro is running very smoothly.

SIdd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Jayell » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Bob wrote: Most legitimate companys, such as Amazon and B&H Photo, are selling it at about a 10% discount. If you create an Adobe Account and sign up for notification of offers and upgrades, they will email periodic offers some of which are very good.

I bought .. and got about 12% off. I'm happy. I'm on that mailing list and have been getting all those offers, but just wasn't ready yet. :( Figured I better wait until all the good deals are off. :lol:

sidd finch wrote:I moved from PRE3 to PPro CS3 and I really like it. It did not take a whole lot to cross learn and I am very happy with the switch. From my experience PPro has a much better developed engine and the result is that Pro does things better. I am doing all HD and where PRE3 would chug and breath Pro is running very smoothly. SIdd

Thanks Sidd. I'm hoping it isn't too painful making the switch. But figured I better do it before my little memory bone gets any older. :-D I also work mainly in HD, so glad to hear it might run slightly smoother.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Congrats Jayell, you will be happy with PrPro. Two things that stick out when I was getting started is that you have to activate each panel when working. If you are in the timeline and want to export, then click on the timeline to get the gold outline around the panel before File>Export. The second thing was 'where did the sequence go' (timeline). If you close the sequence in the timeline panel, reopen by going to the project panel. I remember the first day closing the sequence which was empty and stumped trying to find how to open a new one. I've seen the sequence question asked many times on Creative Cow, so guess I am not alone. :)

Enjoy!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:59 pm

That's great! Did you get Production Premium CS5 like you were thinking of doing?

Adobe will give you a gift for registering. I chose the one month Lynda.com membership and watched all the classes dealing with the Production Premium products.

I agree with Cheryl, once you've gotten used to the way Premiere Pro differs from Elements, you will be very happy with it. I think you will pick it up pretty rapidly, but you know where to come if you have any questions.
Bob

Postby Jayell » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:09 pm

momoffduty wrote: Two things that stick out when I was getting started ... Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the pointers, Cheryl. I'm sure I'll have one or two other questions along the way. :-8

Bob wrote: Did you get Production Premium CS5 like you were thinking of doing?

Yes I did. Will then go back and pick up the Dreamweaver package when I have money again. :lol:

Bob wrote:Adobe will give you a gift for registering. I chose the one month Lynda.com membership

That's certainly nice to know! I have an annual subscription to Lynda, but mine expires in a couple weeks .. and free is always good. I checked last nite for all the Photoshop tutorials on Lynda.com. 21 just on CS5!! That ought keep me off the streets for awhile.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Photoshop