They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Can the Styles of PS CS5 Be Shared with PSE9?

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Can the Styles of PS CS5 Be Shared with PSE9?

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:44 pm

PSE9 has some very nifty Content and Effects, plus Shapes, that I would like to use with PS CS5.

Conversely, PS CS5 has some Styles that I would like to use with PSE9.

Is either doable without switching my image(s)from one program to the other?

#-o
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Can the Styles of PS CS5 Be Shared with PSE9?

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:45 pm

As far as styles and shapes go, yes.

Shapes and Styles are actually presets and the ones included with the products reside in the program presets folder -- shapes in the "custom shapes" subfolder and styles in the "styles" subfolder. (with Windows 7 and CS5, the presets are stored at C:\Users\loginid\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Presets -- if that folder is empty, you can always find them in the product folder in program files.) You should be able to use the load shapes or load styles command in the picker and navigate a location where the preset is stored -- the standard presets are hidden in the picker load dialog box, you'll need to copy them to a different folder first. It's probaby best to use the preset manager and save out a custom set.

You can use Photoshop to create your own custom shapes using the Pen Tool with shape layers selected in the options bar and use the preset manager to save them as a set which can then be loaded by either program. Same with styles. I save mine under my personal files area rather than save them in the program files area.

Other content can be shared also. But, effects are not as straight forward and not all can be shared -- it depends on how the effect is implemented. Some Photoshop Elements Effects are Photoshop Actions, but not all Photoshop Actions can be run as an effect in Elements. Some are also plugins.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:16 pm

Bob wrote:As far as styles and shapes go, yes.

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

The reason I ask is that I see only Styles in PS CS5 (and Filters), but no options for Content, Effects and Shapes or the Shape (Cookie Cutter) Tool, as in PSE9.

Am I perhaps not looking in the correct place(s)?

#-o
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:18 pm

There is no equivalent to the content panel in CS5. Effects are mainly actions which can be played in the action player. Shapes are found in the shape tool. There is a layer styles panel.

Shape layers are created using the shape tool or the pen tool (they are actually the same tool with different options selected). Look at this screen capture:
shapes.jpg

The shape tool is highlighted in the tool bar. The options bar controls what happens. The first highlighted button creates shape layers. The second highlighted button is the shape selection dropdown. The highlighted flyout button allows you to load other shape sets and perform other functions. Select the shape you want and click and drag on the image to position and size the shape. Color will be taken from the current foreground color or you can set it in the color box.

There is no cookie cutter tool. But, there are many ways to cut out a shape. My preference is click the button next to the shape layer button to change to path creation mode. Then, add a vector mask to the layer (layer>vector mask>reveal all). With the vector mask active click and drag the shape tool on the image to size and scale the shape. When you release the mouse, the vector mask will be filled with black and white such that only the shape is visible in the image.

You can find the background and frame images in Elements and, using either the place command or dragging from bridge, add them to the image. You will be able to resize the images before committing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Bob wrote:The shape tool is highlighted in the tool bar....

Yes, I see it now below the Rectange tool. Thanks for the detailed information, including the method for using PSE9's frames in PS CS5. Im going to try that out ASAP.

:hat:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:01 am

George Tyndall wrote:I'm going to try that out ASAP.

Yes,indeed!

One CAN, using the Place command, access PSE9's frames with PS CS5.

Interestingly, I've never seen those that I found in the PSE9 Organizer folder actually displayed in PSE9 itself.

I'm going to call it a day for now as I've spent most of the day stacking.

P.S. Is it really true that Macs, but not PCs, have a KB shortcut for stacking selected images?

#-o
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop