They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Where Oh Where Did My Tools Go, Where Oh Where...

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Where Oh Where Did My Tools Go, Where Oh Where...

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:20 pm

...Could They Be?

In PS CS5, I seem to be missing the following tools: a) gradient b) magic wand. Very strange.

#-o
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Where Oh Where Did My Tools Go, Where Oh Where...

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:45 pm

They should be there. Those tools are stacked with others in the tool bar and another tool could be the one currently at the top of the stack. The Magic Wand is stacked with the Quick Selection tool. Capitol W will select and toggle between them. The Gradient tool is stacked with the Pattern tool. Capitol G will select and toggle between them. FYI, the keyboard shortcut needs to be the capitol letter (i.e. with the shift key). Pressing the lowercase letter will select the current tool at the top of the stack, but it won't toggle between them when you press multiple times. If you know which icon in the toolbar contains the tool you want, you can also click and hold on it to select the alternate tool. But, I find the keyboard shortcut easier. Just remember G for gradient, W for wand.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Bob wrote:They should be there.

Very strange. I right-clicked on all the little triangles multiple times and still did not see those underlying tools. But when I used the KB shortcuts as you said they appeared right away. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, the problem I had before with CS5 not wanting to allow Printer to Manage Color has resolved itself (I did not change anything that I am aware of). #-o

Also, the issue of Select a File to Preview hogging most of the open OS window space was resolved by clicking on the shaded icon next to the question mark. Interestingly, I don't recall that icon being there when I first had the problem. Have there been updates to CS5?

Lastly, I joined NAPP and have begun watching some of the over-1000 tutorials.* But, interestingly, when I downloaded articles from the latest magazine and performed extractions, all I got was a few icons but no articles or text to read. #-o

Thanks still once again for your assistance. :hat:

____
*The one I just imitated is by Lesa Snider, and the subject is using Smart Blur by creating a Smart Object direcly from the filter menu. I used a frame Style that is not available in PSE9 and also applied another style to the within-image title to make it less prominent. Althought the model was shot from a distance of only a few feet, the effect of Smart Blur, followed by painting away the blur of the model on the accompanying mask, is TERRIFIC but not at all complicated like some of the other techniques. The image appears to have been shot by a very long telephoto lens.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:40 pm

aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:03 am

momoffduty wrote:List of shortcut keys in PS CS5:

http://teacherlink.ed.usu.edu/tlresourc ... 20keys.pdf

Very helpful, Cheryl.

Thank you. :hat:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop