They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Important Features in PS CS5 Compared to PSE7

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Important Features in PS CS5 Compared to PSE7

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:09 am

When I took the course on PSE7 at lynda.com (which I learned about from the muvipix Home page), I came to the conclusion that PS, in terms of the creations that I make, offers no advantages over PSE.

There are number of features in Photoshop for more advanced users that you won't find in Elements. Here is the quick list of some of those features: advanced color management, the Channels panel, the Pen tool, the Paths panel, CMYK and LAB color, direct layer masking, Layer comps, HDR imaging, vanishing point, text on a paths, web page slicing and the Color Balance adjustment

But that course was created prior to the advent of PS CS5. I've just finished quickly running through the 12-hour+ course on PS CS5 at lynda.com, and here are two features that, for the relatively-simple type of work that I do, are especially helpful:

--Content-Aware Fill: When selecting a portion of an image for removal, one now has the choice of allowing PS to fill in the now-empty foreground area with the surrounding foreground.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-photoshop-cs5/contentaware-filling-and-healing/

--Protect Tones: When burning with PSE, there is a tendency for the burned areas to take on a reddish cast; checking the Protect Tones option in PS minimizes this.

Note: PS CS5 offers dozens of other features in addition to the two that I find especially useful.

::wav::
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Important Features in PS CS5 Compared to PSE7

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:25 am

That brief summary from Lynda.com does a pretty good job of describing the main differences between the CS and the Elements versions of Photoshop. And you're right -- for most people, editing digital photos for their computer, online or video -- you may never miss those advanced features. Which is part of the beauty of Photoshop Elements.

But if you're working as a print designer, those missing features are invaluable! The ability to work in CMYK color alone would merit using the pro version of the software.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:17 pm

It all comes down to how you work and what you need. Photoshop Elements is a very capable tool for the average consumer. But, I would feel very constrained with Elements as I use a lot of features in Photoshop daily that just aren't there in Elements. Some are advanced functions like those listed while others are simply more extensive controls for finer control of some adjustments. I could work around some of those missing pieces, but it would slow me down and speed is one of the primary advantages I get from Photoshop. Which reminds me, "actions" are missing from that list -- I write a lot of actions.

Besides regular photography, I do a lot of photo restoration and compositing. I'm finding the content aware healing is saving me a lot of time with the restorations. It's not perfect, but it gets me closer to the finished product faster and easier. And, the little extra cleanup work to make it perfect is small compared to what it would have taken without that feature.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Bob wrote:Which reminds me, "actions" are missing from that list -- I write a lot of actions.

Bob, she wrote that when the the course for PSE7 came out in 2008. BTW, she has just recently come out with a course on the new features of PS CS5. That is where I learned about the new shortcut for changing the size and softness of brush-like tools that I posted earlier.

HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:27 pm

I've been a Photoshop user since version 6 and have gotton quite comfortable with it. I'm really liking CS5 -- both for the big features and those little usability features like the brush shortcut you mentioned. I did use Photoshop Elements at home for several years (supplemented by actions I created in Photoshop) until I no longer had access to Photoshop at work (promotion and changed responsibilities). By that time, I had become so used to (and reliant on) the features of Photoshop that I felt it was worth upgrading to Photoshop for home use. I haven't regretted it.

So, which way are you leaning towards? Some of your posts give me the impression you may decide to get CS5 while others give the impression that you won't. It's quite possible to have and work with both products. Just curious.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Bob wrote:So, which way are you leaning towards? Some of your posts give me the impression you may decide to get CS5 while others give the impression that you won't. It's quite possible to have and work with both products. Just curious.

Yes, Bob, I've already gotten PS CS5. As I mentioned previously, it works seamlessly with my PSE7 Organizer: Whereas the PSE7 Editor is Ctrl-I, PS is Ctrl-H, or, it can be accessed from the PSE7 Edit pulldown.

The reason I decided to "go for it" is that it has those 2 features that I mentioned earlier that I find quite valuable PLUS a number of others that I will probably learn to appreciate. I use the burn tool a lot in the production of my slide shows so that Protect Tones feature alone (plus the fact that I got it for a very good price) made the decision quite easy.

Also, my thinkng is that, now that Adobe has taken away, with PSE8, the ability to open the PSE catalog without first opening the Welcome screen, PSE7 may be the last version of PSE I'll ever purchase. What that means is that, even if Adobe were to choose to offer some of those PS features in a new version of PSE, I would not be interested in purchasing it if the associated Organizer has the same deficiencly as the one in PSE8.

In short, I'm using now both the PSE7 Editor and PS CS5 with the PSE7 Organizer. One happy result is that, because I needed to take a course to learn PS CS5, my print creations are now at a entirely new level. So I guess I should thank Adobe for making that change to the PSE8 Organizer.

George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Bob wrote:It all comes down to how you work and what you need. Photoshop Elements is a very capable tool for the average consumer.

Bob, there is no Smart Brush Tool in PS like there is in PSE7? The Quick Select Tool in PS is the equivalent?

BTW, I just printed an image from my Organizer using 3 different settings with my Artisan 50,and here are the results:

--printed from PS, printer controls color management: terrible print, unacceptable
--printed from PS, Photoshop controls color management: acceptable
--printed from PSE7, printer controls color management: beautiful, very close to what I see on my HDTV (which hasn't blown its capacitors yet)

Comments, please.

George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:57 am

PSE does have a some useful consumer oriented tools that are not present in PS. Smart brush is one of them. The equivalent would be the quick selection brush along with an adjustment layer. If you make the selection first and then add the appropriate adjustment layer, the selection will automatically be incorporated into the adjustment layer's layer mask.

Printer setting issues are difficult to diagnose remotely. What are the printer driver setting you are using for each test? And, what are the color settings for each test.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:31 am

Bob wrote:Printer setting issues are difficult to diagnose remotely. What are the printer driver setting you are using for each test? And, what are the color settings for each test.

My settings have always been as follows: 1) PSE>Edit>Color Settings>Optimize for Computer Screen (sRGB) 2) Epson R340 and Artisan 50 printer settings: Paper>Premium Presentation Matte, Heavyweight; Quality>Photo RPM (Max dpi); High Speed On; Black/Grayscale Off; Edge Smoothing Off; Color Management>Fix Photo>Auto Correct>Digital Correction>Smooth Skin. (Most of my work consists of portraits made in a studio.)

As I understand my settings, PSE is set up correctly for making images for the monitor, DVDs and the internet, but when I wish to print the Epson is adjusting the sRGB settings, and that is why I am also getting print quality that is the same as I see on my monitor and my DVDs. (The printer dialog box does acknowlege that the "Source Space" is sRGB....)

But here is what happens in the printer dialog with PS, after I have chosen as my Color Settings "North American General Purpose 2" (sRGB....).

1. I make the same printer settings as described above.
2. As with PSE, the PS printer dialog ackowledges that the Color Management is sRGB....
3) But the default Color Handllng "Photoshop Manages Colors" continues to show in the printer dialog, so I click on the drop down and select "Printer Manages Colors." The result is a reminder in the print dialog to be sure I have made the correct settings with the Printer.
4)I double-check the printer settings that I just made in #1 -- and I note that Color Management by the printer has been turned off -- despite the fact the very first action I took was #1.
5) I once again, in the printer dialog, activate color management by the printer -- and when I click OK, I can see the Printer dialog for PS in the background instantly change to Photoshop Manages Colors!!!

In short, PS CS5 refuses to allow my printer to control color management. As I said yesterday, the resulting print is acceptabe -- BUT still VERY inferior to what I am getting when I print from the PSE7 editor: the model's skin is rougher, darker and has different tone.

Any suggestions?

#-o
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:44 am

Something's not right, my PS CS5 has no problem with letting the printer manage the colors. I haven't had a chance to think about this, I've been very busy today and will be the next day or so. Give me some time to look into it and I'll let you know if anything comes to mind.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:34 am

Bob wrote:Something's not right, my PS CS5 has no problem with letting the printer manage the colors. I haven't had a chance to think about this, I've been very busy today and will be the next day or so. Give me some time to look into it and I'll let you know if anything comes to mind.

Bob, it's not even slightly a problem to print from PSE7 instead of PS CS5, so please ignore this issue for as long as you like.

George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Photoshop