They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Ready to jump into 3D

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Ready to jump into 3D

Postby Jayell » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:16 pm

I have Photoshop CS5 Extended, but have NEVER touched the 3D section. I think I'm ready to jump into that now .. I think :-). Just wondering if there's any particular tutorials (zillions on the Web) that someone has taken that they'd recommend to help them get started. I know about Lynda.com and that might be a good starting place, but wondering if there's any others folks might recommend.
Thanks!
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Ready to jump into 3D

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:00 am

You're right, there are lots of 3D tutorials out there. Problem is, 3D is a pretty large topic and the majority of tutorials I've seen narrowly cover only specific aspects of it. I haven't seen any that pull it all together. If you are coming into this with no background in 3D, it would probably be better to look into courses such as those on Lynda.com.

Deke McClelland has some Photoshop CS5 specific 3D courses on Lynda.com. There is also a CS5 specific 3D course on KelbyOne.com.

I haven't seen any of these, so I can't offer a review or recommendation.

If you plan on moving up to Photoshop CS6 Extended or Photoshop CC, keep in mind that features come and go. CS5 introduced Repousse for making 3D from text and solids. That's gone in later upgrades.

What sorts of things do you think you would do using the 3D features?
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:22 am

Just to expand something Bob noted, 3D is also kind of a vague term.

The 3D in Photoshop, for instance, will not produce a 3D image that can be rotated in a 3D workspace in After Effects, for instance. To do that, you'd like to create your images with a program like Cinema 4D.

Also, 3D in Photoshop should not be confused with stereoscopic 3D, in which you wear special glasses and images seem to fly off the screen.

3D in Photoshop is mostly extrusion. So, depending on your goals with the finished pieces, it may not produce what you want.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Photoshop 3D is a moving target. ;)

Another removed feature: CS5 could save a psd file with a 3D object layer included and you could rotate it in a 3D After Effects CS5 workspace. Removed in CS6.

While it does contain a some basic mesh presets you can use, in general, Photoshop cannot create a 3D object. However, it can import one created in a 3D application such as Blender, Maya, or 3Ds Max if it is exported/saved in ".obj" format.

Photoshop can also work with stereoscopic 3D. Here's an anaglyph model in Photoshop:
Bob

Postby Jayell » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks guys for the responses.
Bob wrote: Problem is, 3D is a pretty large topic and the majority of tutorials I've seen narrowly cover only specific aspects of it. I haven't seen any that pull it all together. If you are coming into this with no background in 3D, it would probably be better to look into courses such as those on Lynda.com.

Most of the stuff I do is just for fun and to entertain myself and friends, so I'm just ready to learn something new. I have no specific goal in mind. I've tried several of those online tutorials, but they often assume you know the basics.
Bob wrote:Deke McClelland has some Photoshop CS5 specific 3D courses on Lynda.com.

I've just started one of his basic courses in 3D. I have taken several of Deke's Photoshop courses and like them very much!
Bob wrote:If you plan on moving up to Photoshop CS6 Extended or Photoshop CC, keep in mind that features come and go. CS5 introduced Repousse for making 3D from text and solids. That's gone in later upgrades.

Hadn't even thought of that! That's certainly worth keeping in mind. Did something replace it .. or is anything created using Repousse not usable in CS6?
Steve Grisetti wrote:Just to expand something Bob noted, 3D is also kind of a vague term.

Thanks, Steve .. since I'm just getting started, I'm not even familiar with what's out there or what the different options are. I just love playing with Photoshop (have been away from it for almost a year) and want to learn something new .. that I can do with my current Photoshop.
:-D
Bob wrote:Another removed feature: CS5 could save a psd file with a 3D object layer included and you could rotate it in a 3D After Effects CS5 workspace. Removed in CS6.

I started learning After Effects, but decided my aging brain doesn't have enough cells left to absorb all of that. I'm leaving that to the After Effects Queen: CHERYL. :fg:
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks for clarifying some things, Bob!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:08 pm

The Repousse objects I created in CS5 opened in CS6. You could still modify them as 3D objects, but without the repousse interface. I think Repousse was purchased from another company and was a stepping stone in extending 3D support. Adobe seems to be adding more native 3D support. You can do much of the same thing in CS6, but now you have to go through the various properties.
Bob

Postby Jayell » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:43 pm

.. which means you have to learn how to do it all over again, right? :conf:
But at least you don't lose what you've done when you switch. Got it.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Wait, I got promoted to Queen?? Oh no, it is opposite day. :-k

I don't have PS extended so sorry no help. I have PS CS5 and was bummed when I realized extended was $$$. At that time I read a few posts in the CC forum about creating 3D photo work and then bring the layers into AE to animate. The vanishing point being done in PS and in AE it would be a snap. It wasn't as smooth as it was billed and still had to readjust in AE. Users reported how things where "wonky" when pulled into AE. (Bob's tech term :) )
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Not just my tech term, Here's the #1 definition at Urban Dictionary:

"wonky

weird, whacked out, messed up, not working for no definable reason. Usually applied to technology."
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Bob wrote:Not just my tech term, Here's the #1 definition at Urban Dictionary:

"wonky

weird, whacked out, messed up, not working for no definable reason. Usually applied to technology."

:-D Good term!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:16 am

Bob wrote:Not just my tech term,

Ah! But in the confines of our little community here it will always from known, from now on, as "Bob's technospeak." :hyst:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Jayell » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:41 am

momoffduty wrote:Wait, I got promoted to Queen??

As far as After Effects go, Cheryl, and the gorgeous work you put out .. in my book you can have any title you want. :TU:
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Photoshop