They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing video

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Editing video

Postby thhult » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi,
I´m trying to editing a video clip in Photoshop from Premiere. The clip has captured from HDV and is in the format m2t. This clip does not accept in PS.
Does anyone have any experience of this and how to replace the edited video.

Best regards
Thomas
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Editing video

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi Thomas, What version of Photoshop and are you using Photoshop Extended?
I'm thinking you will have to convert the video to a Quicktime friendly file.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Yes, what version of Photoshop are you using. Photoshop CS6 improved video support over previous versions and doesn't require the extended edition to work with video. Here is a list of the supported file formats in CS6. Note that the ones with an "*" are new to CS6. You might try renaming the file to .mpg from .m2t and see if Photoshop will accept it then.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Bob wrote: You might try renaming the file to .mpg from .m2t and see if Photoshop will accept it then.

Great idea Bob, why didn't I think of that .... Oh that's right, my name isn't Bob :hyst:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby thhult » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:36 am

I have CS5 ext. If I rename the file to .mpg it still is in m2t-format. I export the video in Premiere in mpg2-format, but PS does´nt accept it.
I try to attach the video here but it failed "The extension mpg is not allowed"
I attach the properties of the mpg-file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:02 am

I upgraded to Photoshop CS6 Extended from Photoshop CS5 extended and still have both versions installed. I downloaded a sample m2t file and confirmed that Photoshop CS5 will not open the file. Photoshop CS6 opened it with no problems at all.
Bob

Postby thhult » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:03 am

So the consequence that there is no solution available for me with CS5 ?
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Here is some good information about Video and CS5 Extended.
http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/1721-w ... oshop-cs5/
I think you will need to covert the video to a format that it will be able to import, something with a MOV extension.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:21 pm

So the consequence that there is no solution available for me with CS5 ?

The only thing you can do is convert the movie to a format CS5 will open. I tried opening some other files I have and .avi, .mp4, and .mov files were able to be opened in CS5.
Bob

Postby thhult » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Chuck and Bob,

Thanks for your help. I shall test your advices.
Regards
Thomas
thhult
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Thank you for the link to file types Photoshop CS6 will open, Bob.

FWIW, I have Photoshop CS5 (NOT extended) I tried:

File> Import> Video Frames to Layers

and got the message:

"Import Video Frames to Layers is not available in the 64 bit version of Photoshop. Please use the 32 bit version instead."

I also have Photoshop CS3 Extended. I can import .mov video files my Canon 7D makes, but not the .mts version my camcorder makes.

How can I change .mts files to .mov files? Simply change the file extension?

If I rename a .psd file to .jpg it does not make that file be a .jpg file.

confused,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:53 pm

Photoshop CS5 only supported "Import Video Frames to Layers" in the 32-bit version. That's been fixed in Photoshop CS6 and you can use now it in the 64-bit version. You're limited to 500 frames though. It's better to just open the video and get a video layer. Unfortuneately, that requires the extended edition prior to version CS6. Photoshop Extended CS3 can open MOV (QuickTime), AVI, and some mpeg formats. I believe it can also import a numbered sequence.

If I remember correctly, the Canon 7D creates mov files using the motion jpeg codec. The .mts files your camcorder makes use AVCHD and will need to be converted. Changing the suffix won't help. That only works for certain container formats that are essentially the same thing. Premiere Elements can convert the video for you. Share to PC and use dv-avi or quicktime. If Quicktime, click on the advanced button and select the apple mpeg-4 codec.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Changing the suffix won't help. That only works for certain container formats that are essentially the same thing.

OK, that makes sense.

Premiere Elements can convert the video for you.

I'll try to work my way through it. Thanks for the directions!

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:51 pm

My pocket book likes to skip at least every other version of Photoshop but drat it all, Adobe likes to add something or another that I think I can't live without with each one. Like being able to see what's on the back side of an offending object, such as a telephone pole in the wrong place, with 'content aware fill' ...So this time it is the ability to edit video in the plain program instead of having to cough up extra dough for extended. BUT, version 7 will hopefully have the ability to unscramble motion blur images (I hope, I hope, since I have so many of them) and not knowing about video in 6 I've been holding out.

So, what kind of editing is it possible to do in PS6?

It's not a full video creating program, like Pre Elements is it? I'm guessing it would be possible to select a group of frames and clone out some unfortunate part of the scene, such as a piece of paper on a sidewalk. Maybe the ability to select objects that are blown out and pull some detail back in, or a more comprehensive way to adjust using curves and levels, perhaps overall, perhaps on an individual selection. Am I thinking along the right track?

thanks,

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:56 am

It's not a full video creating program, like Pre Elements is it?

You can import video clips assemble them in a timeline, add transitions and effects, and export to a video file. In that sense it is a full video creating program. However, it it pretty basic when compared to a full featured video editor such as Premiere Elements. It was really designed for photographers who have started using the video capabilites of their cameras and want to create videos without having to buy and learn a completely new program.

I'm guessing it would be possible to select a group of frames and clone out some unfortunate part of the scene, such as a piece of paper on a sidewalk. Maybe the ability to select objects that are blown out and pull some detail back in, or a more comprehensive way to adjust using curves and levels, perhaps overall, perhaps on an individual selection. Am I thinking along the right track?

Yes, you can do that. Cloning or painting frame by frame is tedious, but you can do it. On the other hand, it's very easy to apply filters, adjustment layers, masks, and blending modes -- To individual clips or an entire video track You can indeed use curves and levels to make adjustments.

The following videos will give you a better idea how it works:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/photoshop-cs6-featuretour/using-the-new-video-features-in-photoshop-cs6/
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/masking-video-for-special-effects-in-photoshop-cs6/
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/transforming-layers-over-time-in-photoshop-cs6/

One more thing. Adobe has changed the upgrade policy. You can now only upgrade from one point release to the next. For example, CS5.0 or CS5.5 to CS6.0. Older than that will pay full price. To upgrade to CS7, you will need to have at least CS6.0.
Bob

Next

Return to Photoshop