They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HDR Photography

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

HDR Photography

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:07 am

Anyone try HDR photography? I've seen photos and timelapses. Photomatix is one of the names that is used often. Found this freeware version:

http://www.georgedewolfe.com/perceptool.html
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: HDR Photography

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:05 pm

I tried it some time ago, but ran into a problem, the images were slightly misaligned, which I could see in the composite. The misalignment came from pushing the shutter button on a not too sturdy tripod.

I don't remember which application I used back when, but in CS6, there is a "Remove ghost" option that tries to correct for moving objects. That perfectly aligned my images. I used about 16 images of various exposures, but took more shots than that.

It's nice being able to work with such a wide dynamic range where you can have fine details in the shadows and in the highlights in the same image.

I was just experimenting at the time with one scene and an inexpensive camera to see what HDR was all about, and then did nothing more after that. Now that I see that ghosts can be eliminated, I might try doing some more besides a scence of my living room with stuff all over.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Briantho » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:14 am

Well I've been very happy with it on my iPhone 4 and more recently with my iPhone 4s. I leave that option on all the time and simply delete the original or HDR version soon after. Personally I think it is the most exciting thing that has happened to photography since they invented colour.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:10 am

RJ Johnston wrote:It's nice being able to work with such a wide dynamic range where you can have fine details in the shadows and in the highlights in the same image.

I agree, the dynamic range is very impressive from normal to the extreme surreal look.

Briantho, is there anything that the iPhone can't do? Do the photos have the same quality as a camera?

I borrowed my brother's intervalometer last year and didn't have time to use it. Hopefully I can borrow it again and try the HDR shots. He has set his at 5 shots. 2 under exp, 1 normal, & 2 over.

If you search Flickr there are several groups dedicated to HDR photos. Some amazing photos. Here is a timelapse that is amazing too. I like the surreal look.

aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Briantho » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:30 am

I must admit that the iPhone is pretty incredible. I use it a LOT and I rarely make actual phone calls! As for photos, HDR or otherwise, no, the lens is fine for people like me but my daughter has a medium range Nikon and the difference is very obvious. These days it all comes down to the lens (as we all know) and although Apple have done as good a job as they can in the space available there is still a long way to go before it's going to do serious stuff.

That's a lovely video and on the subject of time-lapse I did this a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrd_k3gPw90

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrd_k3gPw90[/youtube]
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:43 am

The iP 4 is 5 MP, the 4S is 8 MP, which I'm sure makes a difference (I have the 4). But low light capability is terrible, and the LED flash is nearly worthless unless you're right on top of the subject. And since you're handling the phone all the time it helps to remember to clean the glass in front of the lens before you take any pictures. But there's nothing like having both still and video capabilities right at your belt at any moment. Like they say, the best camera in the world doesn't do you any good if you don't have it with you.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:04 am

Fun timelapse Brian! =D> Did you do the movement in post?

Dave, yes it all depends on whose hands the camera is in. Just like Sidd's macro flip stuff.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Briantho » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:37 am

momoffduty wrote:..Did you do the movement in post? ...

Oh yes, only way possible I think. My footage is 1920 x 1080 which I drop into a 1280 x 720 sequence. As I'm sure you would appreciate (but I'm detailing it here in case it's of use to others) when I scale my footage down to 66.7% this fills the screen properly which then allows me to play around (zoom in/out) between 66.7% and 100% (and even a bit more) without any apparent loss in resolution, as far as I can tell. These days I'm editing all my footage in this way which, providing I continue to deliver practically all I do on DVDs, allows me to zoom otherwise fixed camcorders that are out of my reach in the hall/theatre/whatever. (I usually use four camcorders for all the shows, concerts etc that I do)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Very nice Brian! Fun to watch. Good choice of music too. =D>
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Great tip on the scale Brian! :-D
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Briantho » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Well thanks folks but I'm sure you'd have known/thought about the scaling thing Cheryl ;-) Here's an example from a show in April: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcwqWQk0n2Y - the side camcorders were 'zoomed' in post.
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:13 pm

Wow, the scaling looks great! I only shoot in 1080 60i which is 1440x1080. And PrPro CS3 doesn't edit full HD 1920x1080. This is good to know because I am saving for a new camera that shoots full HD and was hesitant because I didn't have a newer version of PrPro. And I can't upgrade to CS5 or 6 because then I would have to move away from XP which would mean upgrading my computer...the whole chain reaction. I'm still in 32, but my computer does support 64. Now that you posted the zoom I guess when I get the new cam I can shoot in full HD and place it in a 720p project.

I do have AE CS4 & PS CS5. Really would like the whole suite and not piece-meal editing. :lol:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Briantho » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:13 am

momoffduty wrote:... I can shoot in full HD and place it in a 720p project...

Well, that's what I'm doing these days. I brought the subject up last April, here and have been having (even more) fun since.
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:00 am

Must have missed that thread. Good to know. Do you burn standard widescreen from your projects?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Briantho » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:05 am

Yes, standard widescreen DVDs which of course allow one to get away with all this trickery. Once people start insisting on blue-ray I suppose I'll have to invest in even higher resolution camcorders!
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to Photoshop