They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

No picture showing up

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

No picture showing up

Postby Clayton » Wed May 23, 2012 8:42 am

I just recently installed a new graphics card (see profile). When I open a photo into PS the layers are on the right with the picture in the icon, but the main scree is blank, no picture shows up. In the bottom left corner where the sizes show it says 144.ok. Now I thought it always was .mb or .kb depending on the size. What is .ok. I have looked thru preferences and cant find any wrong settings. ](*,)

By the way when I open the same photo in PS elements it looks okay.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: No picture showing up

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 23, 2012 10:01 am

What format is the photo file?

Do you get this same issue when you open every other photo?

And (this goes without saying) have you gone to your new video card's manufacturer's site and ensured you have the latest drivers and firmware?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed May 23, 2012 10:21 am

The size is shown with a single letter suffix, K or M. 144.0K is the same as 144.0 Kb.

What is the magnification? If you press ctrl+r do the rulers show up?
Bob

Postby Clayton » Tue May 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:What format is the photo file? JPG

Do you get this same issue when you open every other photo? Yes

And (this goes without saying) have you gone to your new video card's manufacturer's site and ensured you have the latest drivers and firmware?

Yes
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Clayton » Tue May 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Bob wrote:The size is shown with a single letter suffix, K or M. 144.0K is the same as 144.0 Kb.

What is the magnification? If you press ctrl+r do the rulers show up?
I can change the magnification and see the size of the photo change, but no picture ever shows on the screen. In the layers, the photo is shown as the icon. Yes, when I click cntr+r, the rulers show up.. I have attached a screenshot with a 11x14 photo opened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 29, 2012 3:20 pm

That's a pretty big photo, if looking at it in full-screen only shows you 16.7% of it!

But first try pressing Ctrl+0 (That's a zero, not an "o"). Do you see anything now?

Otherwise, I suppose it could be an outdated video card driver -- but, if not, I'm stumped. There's no obvious reason for it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue May 29, 2012 4:19 pm

OK, let's rule out a problem with GPU accelleration. With no photo loaded, go to Edit>Preferences>Performance and look at the GPU settings section. I'm assuming "Enable GPU Drawing" is checked. Uncheck it and click OK. Now open the photo. Do you see it now?

If you see the photo with that preference unchecked, lets try adjusting the GPU options. Close the photo. Go back into the preferences and check the "Enable GPU Drawing" box. Now click on the "Advanced Settings..." button. The mode is probably set to "Normal". Change it to "Basic" and click OK until you exit preferences. Now load the Photo again. Do you see the image this time?
Bob

Postby Clayton » Wed May 30, 2012 10:44 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:That's a pretty big photo, if looking at it in full-screen only shows you 16.7% of it! (yes it is big, but I have tried all sizes with no luck)

But first try pressing Ctrl+0 (That's a zero, not an "o"). Do you see anything now? (nothing different)

Otherwise, I suppose it could be an outdated video card driver -- but, if not, I'm stumped. There's no obvious reason for it.

(new video card with updated driver)
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Clayton » Wed May 30, 2012 10:55 am

Bob wrote:OK, let's rule out a problem with GPU accelleration. With no photo loaded, go to Edit>Preferences>Performance and look at the GPU settings section. I'm assuming "Enable GPU Drawing" is checked. Uncheck it and click OK. Now open the photo. Do you see it now?

Yes the photo shows now!

If you see the photo with that preference unchecked, lets try adjusting the GPU options. Close the photo. Go back into the preferences and check the "Enable GPU Drawing" box. Now click on the "Advanced Settings..." button. The mode is probably set to "Normal". Change it to "Basic" and click OK until you exit preferences. Now load the Photo again. Do you see the image this time?

It was set to basic. When I checked the box, the photo does not show. I tried this with "basic", "normal", and "advanced" none work. Also with enable check, and under advanced settings Boxes are checked for "vertical sync" and "anti-alias guides and paths"
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed May 30, 2012 12:34 pm

What happened when the "enable gpu accelleration" box was unchecked?
Bob

Postby Clayton » Wed May 30, 2012 1:39 pm

You probably missed my reply in your quote, but the picture did show up. Do you have an explanation? I really don't understand what checking that box is supposed to do for me.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed May 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Yes, I missed it!

It sure looks like there is a problem with GPU acceleration. With the Enable box unchecked, you are using software to render the image, not the GPU. I'm not sure why there is a problem, Photoshop CS5 uses OpenGL for it's GPU accelleration and your GTX 570 uses the exact same level of OpenGL that my GTX 470 does. And, mine works perfectly. I'm wondering if there may still be portions of the Catalyst driver from your old card still installed and interfering.
Bob

Postby Clayton » Thu May 31, 2012 7:42 am

Thats possible, I will try to see if it is all removed. I remember I had problems removing it.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Clayton » Thu May 31, 2012 11:59 am

Okay, I tried using the uninstall in windows and when I tried, it gave me a message to wait until all the files were propagated. I let it set for 2 hours and notihing happened. So I went to explorer and deleteed almost all of the stuff under ATI technoligies. I would not let me remove all because it said tit was open in explorer. I went back to the uninstall and now is wont complete the action because it said some of the items are missing. Is there another way to clear this? ](*,)
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:24 am

For future reference, you should have booted into safemode and then run the uninstall. Since you can't run the uninstall now, the best bet would be to use a driver removal utility such as "Driver Sweeper. You can get Driver Sweeper free at http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html. See also: http://phyxion.net/item/analysing-and-removing-drivers.html. Driver Sweeper needs the Microsoft .NET Framework version 3 or higher to be installed, but you may already have that.

Boot into safe mode and run Driver Sweeper, select ATI-Display, analyse (and scan the list to make sure nothing other than ATI will be removed), Reboot into normal mode.

I'd recommend backing up the system beforehand to be safe.
Bob

Next

Return to Photoshop