They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Workflow from PSE to CS5

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Workflow from PSE to CS5

Postby Ric » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:19 pm

I have worked with PSE for years and now starting to work with CS5 just last week. I was wondering if I can have a workflow in CS5 like I did in PSE? I shoot alot of high school sports volleyball, football, etc of all 3 levels thru out there season. What I do in PSE is create a new catalog first thing and in that catalog I would have 7 sub folders with specific names and dates of the 7 games I shoot of them. I have a website that I post the picture to so parents can review and buy if interested. I tell the parents to give me the photos 4 digit number and what size print they want and I can then find them very easy that way. When I click on the catalog for Varsity football everything I shoot of them is in that catalog. I want to do the same with CS5 can that be done? I want and easy way to find my pictures in CS5. I shoot so many pictures in a season that my numbers are dupiacated several times over, and I find them easy to find when I use PSE but not sure how to do the same with CS5. I was going to buy a book on CS5 but then wasn't sure what to buy to help me with the workflow. Anyone have a good work flow in CS5 that might be able to help me find my pictures thru out the year?
Ric
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Workflow from PSE to CS5

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:23 pm

Ric wrote:Anyone have a good work flow in CS5 that might be able to help me find my pictures thru out the year?

The PSE7 Organizer is the heart of my workflow. All the images that I dowload from my camera's memory card to my HDD are tracked there.

If I wish to edit a photo in my Organizer with PS CS5.5 instead of the PSE7 Editor, I go to Edit>Edit with Photoshop (Ctrl-H), which opens the image with PS CS5.

I have my Organizer's Watch Folders option set to automatically add to the catalog any new images that appear in the various folders. The result is that, if I edit an image with PS CS5 and save it it one of the Watched Folders, it will automatically appear in the Organizer.

CS5's Adobe Bridge may accomplish the same thing, but I am not familiar with it. My understanding is that, if you are shooting in Camera Raw, then Lightroom is very helpful for the purpose of organizing and editing.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:04 am

Use Bridge. Googling will show many tutorials that can help you get started.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Ric » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:15 am

Thanks guys for the reply.
Ric
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Ric, I hope you post your workflow when you get things figured out. I go back and forth between the 2 programs depending on the project. In Bridge you can tag & rate and I haven't used that feature much. One thing to keep in mind is that some adjustments layers in PS CS5 will get thrown out by PSE.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:28 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Use Bridge. Googling will show many tutorials that can help you get started.

I started with the original PSE and never got beyond PrEl/PSE v2. When v3 came out I switched to PPro/PS so I have never really used Organiser 'in anger' so I can't say which is best. I just use Bridge. One advantage, I suppose, is that everything is in one place.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Photoshop