They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Playing with shadows

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Playing with shadows

Postby Jayell » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:43 pm

I just found out about all shadows on a page having to go in the same direction. And if you change one of them .. the other one changes!! And if you flip a piece around, the shadow actually changes location! I never knew that!! That was almost as unsettling as learning about Santa Claus!

So I want what I’ve shown below. The top and bottom edging are two separate pieces.

I did it by placing a drop shadow on the top piece. Then copying the bottom piece .. de-saturating it, then moving and tweaking as required. Is there a more direct way to let me have different pieces with shadows going in different directions? .. even though I know it's just trying to help me. ;)

Using Photoshop CS5

shadows.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Playing with shadows

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:40 am

You could also uncheck the option to make your Drop Shadows global.

When that option is check, all shadows fall the same direction. Uncheck the option and each can be created independently.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Playing with shadows

Postby Jayell » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:14 am

I knew it had to be something simple. I swear I looked all over that page for some kind of default to uncheck.
OK, so maybe I shouldn't admit that .. since I obviously looked right past that box. :hid:

The tutorial I learned it from created special Styles just to accomplish that, so that's what made me think maybe there wasn't a way around it.
Thank you, Steve!! :tx: ::CLAP:
I love those simple answers!
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Photoshop