They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Clipping masks / Is there a better way?

A discussion area specific to the Photoshop Pro versions.

Clipping masks / Is there a better way?

Postby Jayell » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 pm

OK .. with the situation as shown below .. Using Photoshop PS5
At the last minute I wanted to change the color of the red frame, using a hue-saturation layer. But because the frame and hue-sat layer are both clipped (along with Layer 1) to the Photo layer, Layer 1 will also change colors .. which I DON'T want. I worked around it by merging the hue-sat and frame layer together, but is there a way to accomplish this and keep the hue-sat layer available for later modification?

hue-sat-question.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Clipping masks / Is there a better way?

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Probably the easiest way is to select both the hue-saturation layer and the ribbon layer and select "convert to smart object" from the right click context menu. To change the color, double click on the smart object layer and the two layers will be brought up in a separate window. Change the hue-saturation setting as desired and save to update the smart object.
Bob

Postby Jayell » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks, Bob. I haven't worked with Smart Objects at all .. which could be why I didn't think of that. :-D Guess it's time I start learning how to use them.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:15 am

Smart Objects are incredibly useful and well worth learning. But, since the ribbon layer has transparency, you can do this fairly easily without Smart Objects the old fashioned way using the layer mask on the hue-saturation layer.

Press the ctrl key and click on the thumbnail of the ribbon layer to get the selection corresponding to the shape of the ribbon. Add the hue-saturation layer and the included layer mask will be automatically filled to match the selection and the adjustments will only apply to the ribbon.

For a simple application like this one, there's not a lot of difference either way. But, the Smart Object method is a bit more flexible as you can easily swap out the ribbon for another type of border, and you can apply nondestructive transformations and effects. With the layer mask method, you will need to recreate the mask to correspond to the new border.
Bob

Postby Jayell » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Bob wrote:Press the ctrl key and click on the thumbnail of the ribbon layer to get the selection corresponding to the shape of the ribbon. Add the hue-saturation layer and the included layer mask will be automatically filled to match the selection and the adjustments will only apply to the ribbon.

That's what I was looking for! And it works because of the selection. Got it.
Thanks again .. and I WILL start learning about Smart Objects. Don't get too far away. :lol:
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Photoshop