They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adobe Flash - SWF & FLV

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Adobe Flash - SWF & FLV

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm trying to edit and replace a website file that's an SWF format. I found that PRE 9 will edit the SWF file, but I've only been able to output as an FLV. I suspect that in order to get a SWF output I would have to have Shockwave Pro. I have no Shockwave experience and don't even really understand the difference between SWF and FLV. I need to know if I'm beating my head against the wall, or if there's a workaround to get me where I'm going.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Adobe Flash - SWF & FLV

Postby Ron » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Why are you trying to edit the SWF? SWF files aren't video files per-se (although they can have video embedded in them). When married to a FLV, they're usually the file that houses/loads/plays the movie.

If it is in fact a video (ie, animation), then yes, you would need a dedicated program to output back to SWF format.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 pm

In the folder where everything is stored, there is no FLV file - there's only the SWF. That's why I assumed that I had to edit the SWF, especially since PRE 9 loaded it and allowed me to edit. I'm really fumbling in the dark here. I admit it. Here's a screen cap of the folder in question:

Flash folder files.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ron » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:16 pm

If I had to guess, the SWF is loading those images (possibly among other things). The FLA file below it is the source file for the SWF.

I still don't know what you're objective is, but I think that you are definitely fumbling in the dark 8-[
Regards,
-Ron

Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Okay, but I'm really fumbling in the dark. ](*,) :)

Here's what I'm trying to do. Our church has a website with a flash video on the index page that just runs a short slideshow. The website was created by a commercial entity, but small changes (calendar, some photos, etc.) are made by our secretary through a CMSMS interface. I complained about one of the pictures in the slideshow presenting a very negative view of the facility. We don't have money to have it fixed, so I was hoping to edit out the picture in question and replace it with another, which I actually did in PRE 9. I thought I was on the right track when I found that PRE 9 would allow me to edit the SWF file, but that's where things came to a screeching halt when I discovered that I couldn't output as SWF. I'm trying to figure out if I have the tools at my disposal to do this. If not, then so be it.

Dave McElderry

Postby Ron » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:39 am

Give me access (PM?) and I'll take a look at it. The "edit" might be easier than you think.
Regards,
-Ron

Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing