They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Wow! Inkjet DVD Printing: A New Convert

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Wow! Inkjet DVD Printing: A New Convert

Postby George Tyndall » Sat May 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Because 1) I like to give my clients a matched set of discs, one SD and one HD, and 2) Blu-ray discs don't come in a LightScribe version 3) I was forced to look into what SureThing software (5.2.647.0 "Deluxe Edition"), which I downloaded long ago but never used, can do.

What an epiphany!

Simply stated, I'm left nearly breathless by the quality of the printed photo from a slide show on a SureThng dark-red canvas background. (I used the Epson-Full Face setting with my Epson Artisan 50 CD/DVD printer.)

Additonal advantges are 1) much faster than Lightscribe 2) images are in color and 2) I needn't tie up a DVD burner with labeling.

I do have some questions for those who have experience with this technology:

1. Is it true that moisture can damage the printed surface over time?

2. Do I need to inform clients that such an eventuality is beyond my control?

3. Is there a spray or other product I should apply to inhibit degradation?

4. Is it absolutley necessary, as I suspect it is, to burn the contents of the disc before applying the image to the printable surface?

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Wow! Inkjet DVD Printing: A New Convert

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun May 08, 2011 2:28 am

I took a wet rag and wiped it across a DVD label I printed on my Canon printer. I had waited a few days after printing it. Most of the ink came off or smeared.

I was wondering how much it would cost to have a CD/DVD duplicator service print labels, labels that aren't affected by mositure the way ones printed on $50 printers are affected. I looked up Kinkos, but see that it is now owned by FedEx: FedEx Office Print & Ship Center

They probably don't have a minimum, so you could do 2 at a time, maybe.

http://www.fedex.com/us/office/copyprin ... uplication
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Sun May 08, 2011 3:56 am

I always spray my printed discs with a layer of lacquer to protect the printed image. You can buy lacquer specifically for the purpose but I just use a general pupose spray type.
http://cddvdguard.com/
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun May 08, 2011 4:39 am

Epson claims that the inks they make for the Artisan series are more water resistant than ever, but I think it's a fact of life with inkjet printers. I haven't yet actually made a point of trying RJ's test on discs made with my Artisan. Why don't you let a disc dry for a couple of days and then give it the test? I may just do the same with one of mine since you've piqued my interest. I do some video transfer work for hire and have used inkjet labeling without worrying too much. I've never had anyone come back and complain. Generally I think a person's hands/fingers would have to be pretty wet to do damage. This conversation came up a few years ago and I remember someone (maybe it was RJ) saying then that they used a spray lacquer for this purpose. RJ, have you had any problems with lacquer over time, such as yellowing? Is there a particular brand that you use?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sun May 08, 2011 4:50 am

The Claria ink used by your Artisan 50 is water resistant. It can bleed and smear some though. My printer uses Claria ink also and I don't get smearing with ordinary handling. I haven't tried holding a printed disc under the faucet though. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim make waterproof DVD discs that are supposed to prevent bleeding and smearing -- they are glossy like a photoprint, not matte though. I haven't tried them. I don't believe Blu-Ray discs come with that coating. But, Blu-ray discs are hard coated, it may be worth testing a Blu-ray inkjet printable with Claria ink to see how it performs.
Bob

Postby Bobby » Sun May 08, 2011 8:30 am

I have not seen "shelf life" of printed DVDs as a problem. Most of mine from a couple of years ago seem fine. But I do keep them away from light and I always keep the original source code around to reprint if needed.

I never used a spray, but I did use it on photos years ago. I was never happy with how the results looked.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun May 08, 2011 8:45 am

I've been printing with a HP printer and have found that the ink will alway wipe off with water.
I save a copy of the disc label (I use Acoustica Label Maker) along with the archived project files in case I need to make additional discs.

I recently printed a disc for an unusual reason:

I had an electric range which had the thermostat temperature markings on the backsplash worn and shabby looking. I took a photo of the temperature markings and edited them in Photoshop Elements, cleaning them up nearly perfectly.

I then printed the image on a printable dvd. I was able to physically separate the "layers" of the dvd by flexing it and peeling it apart so that I had only the thin, top layer. I sprayed it with several light coats of a clear lacquer and glued it over the worn section of the backsplash.

I've since scrubbed it with water and household cleansers and it has held up very well.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Sun May 08, 2011 9:39 am

Peru wrote:I've been printing with a HP printer and have found that the ink will alway wipe off with water.
I save a copy of the disc label (I use Acoustica Label Maker) along with the archived project files in case I need to make additional discs.

I recently printed a disc for an unusual reason:

I had an electric range which had the thermostat temperature markings on the backsplash worn and shabby looking. I took a photo of the temperature markings and edited them in Photoshop Elements, cleaning them up nearly perfectly.

I then printed the image on a printable dvd. I was able to physically separate the "layers" of the dvd by flexing it and peeling it apart so that I had only the thin, top layer. I sprayed it with several light coats of a clear lacquer and glued it over the worn section of the backsplash.

I've since scrubbed it with water and household cleansers and it has held up very well.

:TU:

Have you considered selling that story to the manufacturer of the printable DVD?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:06 pm

I know this is an old post, but I have been using the Watershield DVDs from Taiyo Yuden for a couple of years. I put the disc under running water and there is no smearing. The coating has a slight gloss and that helps add contrast and color separation. I recommend them to everyone who wants to do DVD printing. They are available at SuperMediaStore and other places. Watch out for fake Taiyo Yudens from other unreputable sources.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:57 pm

VernonRobinson wrote: I have been using the Watershield DVDs from Taiyo Yuden for a couple of years.

Regards,
-Vernon

What type of printer and ink do you use?
What is the speed of the DVD (8X 16X, etc.)?
Peru

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Peru,
My Epson RX210??? finally gave up the ghost. I now am using an Artisan 810. I purposefully use OEM inks because of the testing that goes into them. I first started using inkjet printers to print my photographs. Color fidelity and longevity were the primary concerns. Each manufacturer (e.g. Canon, Epson, etc.) put a lot of time and money into testing the combination of ink and materials. While some people swear by 3rd party inks, I purposefully have avoided them primarily for that reason. Also, early on those inks were known to casue problems with print head clogging and the like. I am sure they have improved, but I would still give the nod to the OEMs.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing