They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Does Selling HD Creations on Flash Drives Make Sense?

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Does Selling HD Creations on Flash Drives Make Sense?

Postby George Tyndall » Tue May 03, 2011 11:32 am

I'm very disappointed with the performance of both DVD AS5 and DVDA Pro 5.2 with regard to the quality of the audio on the HD disks.

The SD DVD that makes use of AC-3 (Dolby Digital) audio sounds the best, but even it pales in comparison with the audio that I get directly from my external HDD, with earphones plugged directly into the machine's motherboard, when I play the MPEG-2/AC-3 file from which the DVD was created.

http://www.muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=9470&p=83746#p83746

So here are my questions:

1. Isn't it true that most modern HDTVs will play the contents of a flash drive with built-in software?

2. If the answer is yes, then for those clients who want HD video AND highest-quality audio, does it make sense to create their slide shows on flash drives instead of DVDs?

:?:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Does Selling HD Creations on Flash Drives Make Sense?

Postby Bobby » Tue May 03, 2011 3:46 pm

I think Yes. Many TVs I see these day do play storage cards (but what formats may be variable) and I think adding this capability to your offerings would be a good idea. I intend to do that.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Tue May 03, 2011 4:03 pm

Bobby wrote:I think Yes. Many TVs I see these day do play storage cards (but what formats may be variable) and I think adding this capability to your offerings would be a good idea. I intend to do that.

Bobby, it just occurred to me that, with a Flash drive in a HDTV, the video would be great but the audio still would not as it would be audio coming from the HDTV speakers.

The other thought that just occurred to me is that, possibly, it is the fact that I am using SD disks for these trials; I clearly remember that, when I burned actual Blu-ray discs with PRE7, I never had a problem with the either the video or the audio.

Sooooo, tonight I am going to retest both DVD AS5 and DVDA Pro 5.2 with actual Blu-ray disks and then report back.

::wav::
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Tue May 03, 2011 7:10 pm

George, many TVs have digital audio out and many people connect that to their sound systems, letting the TV do the switching between sources and having only one audio connection out. So if you connect an external sound system the audio quality should be as good as recorded.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Tue May 03, 2011 7:45 pm

Bobby wrote:George, many TVs have digital audio out and many people connect that to their sound systems, letting the TV do the switching between sources and having only one audio connection out. So if you connect an external sound system the audio quality should be as good as recorded.

I did not know that.

:tx:

I will check tonight whether my older Samsung (built 2007) has that capability.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed May 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Yup. The big question today in home theaters is: Who does the switching between sources? You basically have two options. One is to connect everything to the TV (assuming it has enough HDMI inputs) and run one digital audio line out to your receiver. The second is to buy an expensive receiver with HDMI switching and switch there, running only a single HDMI line to the TV.

The first options requires a pretty-much standard TV these days - most have four HDMI in and a digital out. You can then buy a relatively cheap receiver. The second option requires the use of a much more expensive receiver, the receiver always has to be on, and you are not using the options you paid for in the TV.

The first option seems to be winning as far as my limited view can see.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Wed May 04, 2011 2:55 pm

Bobby wrote:Yup. The big question today in home theaters is: Who does the switching between sources? You basically have two options. One is to connect everything to the TV (assuming it has enough HDMI inputs) and run one digital audio line out to your receiver. The second is to buy an expensive receiver with HDMI switching and switch there, running only a single HDMI line to the TV.

The first options requires a pretty-much standard TV these days - most have four HDMI in and a digital out. You can then buy a relatively cheap receiver. The second option requires the use of a much more expensive receiver, the receiver always has to be on, and you are not using the options you paid for in the TV.

The first option seems to be winning as far as my limited view can see.

But if one goes with the first option, then where are the speakers that come with the second option? Built into the TV?

:?:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed May 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Both options assume a full receiver sound system with 5.1 or 7.1 speaker systems and don't forget the honkin' huge 10" 100 watt subwoofer!

The only difference is where you switch, and being able to get along with a cheaper non-switching receiver. You DO have a huge subwoofer like all red blooded videophiles, don' you? I do, love it!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed May 04, 2011 5:33 pm

10" subwoofer? Aw, c'mon Bobby. REAL subwoofers start at 15" and larger! :fg:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chris B » Wed May 04, 2011 6:01 pm

To drag this conversation back to sensible areas (sort of) you might find that the digital out on your TV does may not send the full 5.1 to the receiver since the movie studios are paranoid about piracy. Also SPDIF and TOSLING don't have the bandwidth to send TRUEHD and the like.

As to having to turn the receiver on - Mine talks to the TV so comes on when it does. When I eject a BluRay I turn the TV off which turns first the Reciever then the BluRay player off after closing the draw - it's a thing of beauty to watch. ;) The converse is true when I puta disk in the player all the other bits turn on and select the right inputs.

As to the PC sounding better my PC can output to my receiver the truly ridiculous 192KhZ 24 bit signal - you should be able to put this on a disk as well and have that get to the receiver - unless of course you're being restricted by the way it's wired....

How's mine set up? - Mixture of the two of course!
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Bobby » Thu May 05, 2011 7:40 am

Dave McElderry wrote:10" subwoofer? Aw, c'mon Bobby. REAL subwoofers start at 15" and larger! :fg:

That's so 70s. Modern long-throw speakers do just fine and don't have the distortion issues of larger diameter units. (As if I really knew...)
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu May 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Chris B wrote:...Also SPDIF and TOSLING don't have the bandwidth to send TRUEHD and the like...

What does Chris?

Thanks for your comments about TV audio out. I will have to check that out. My system is not wired that way, but my daughter's is and perhaps I can get it to divulge its secrets this weekend.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 pm

HDMI Does.... But that required your TV to send HDMI sound out (Audio Return) - which is a 1.4 feature.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby George Tyndall » Sun May 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Fry's has a very liberal return policy, so I went out this am and temporarily purchased a more modern monitor (the Samsung and Onko 7.1 home theater in my signature are about 5 years old).

Bobby, on the back of this 1080p 32-inch LG, there is an optical audio out but the only separate audio in says RGB/DVI , and it has an odd shape that I do not recognize. There are also two HDMI in ports.

Are you suggesting that the audio should come from the HDMI out of my LG desktop Blu-ray player, and that, if I plug the optical audio out ot the TV into my Onkyo 7.1 home theater, I am going to get audio that sounds as good (7.1) as going directly from the Blu-ray player to the Onkyo?

:tx:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Mon May 09, 2011 7:15 am

Use HDMI to connect all of your devices to the TV. Run the optical digital audio out to your receiver. Do not use the DVI. Set the TV to select the particular input you want to play.

Set your receiver to play the digital audio input you used above and use the Onkyo Display button on the remote to display the signal type on the Onkyo display to see if correct. What does it display?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing