They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

When to lay the 4:3 aspect ratio to rest?

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Re: When to lay the 4:3 aspect ratio to rest?

Postby Matthew Max » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Because I was mostly making lessons for schools, I was using the 4:3 ratio in the export. Recently, I began making some lessons in the proper project setting and then exported them as 4:3.

And now I'm thinking I better go back and export them in 16:9, as I will do everything from now on. The funny thing is that when my wife and I study the two ratios, we can't tell if we missing anything, and yet the 16:9 looks wonderfully full, huge.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:31 am

OK, here's what I think is happening. You were creating the 4:3 wmv file using the share tab>windows media>HD 1080i 30 preset, and the 4:3 pixel aspect ratio.

The wmv created this way will still have the same pixel dimensions, but the change in pixel aspect ratio caused two things to happen. 1) the video will be displayed 4:3 rather than 16:9, and 2) to retain the full image width, the video was letter boxed. That is, the video was scaled down to fit the full width of the 16:9 material into the smaller 4:3 frame. Because the height of the 16:9 material is also scaled down to prevent distortion due to the changed pixel aspect ratio, black bars will appear above and below the original content. No content is lost, but the resolution is less than what you would have had if you had not letterboxed the video.

Using the 16:9 project and the proper pixel aspect ration, there is no scaling and no letterboxing. The video will be larger and more detailed.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 am

I used Share - Windows Media - LAN. That works in PreE 4.0.

I wish I had told you that details before you gave me your wonderful explanation about hi def and standard def. I think it would've affected what you would tell me about exporting.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:49 am

That's fine. In that case, you get 640x480 using square pixels. That's ok for web use, but it's not high def. Did you leave it at that setting or did you manually increase the pixel dimensions to the 1080 you mentioned in the other thread. Because you are fitting 16:9 into 4:3, it will still be letter boxed.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:53 am

That's where I accidentally misled you. I do not export to hi def, and it took me a little bit to digest that part of your previous explanation yesterday. I realized then that I needed to say that:

Yes, I do manually select LAN. It's the right file size for allowing schools to download the files and avoid internet connection problems for their classrooms or computer labs; and it's a good size for homes and home schools to view online at a good resolution. (Two years ago it was too large for most home connections.)
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Previous

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing