They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Google TV and streaming media centers

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Google TV and streaming media centers

Postby Wheat King » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:36 pm

I've been reading other threads on streaming media centers for home use and I'm thinking of doing something similar. While researching I came across Google TV. Anyone using or considering trying google internet TV? Curious about opinions on this. My initial thought is that your own streaming media center is "safer" you don't lose control of your content. If I understand the Google TV "philosophy" is load your content on the web and view it on the TV. I'm not sure I want to do that I think I'd rather have the majority of our family pictures and videos kept where I can "see them" I'm wondering if Google TV might have a local network streaming function over the LAN? Didn't find it but I've not gone to far in my research.

Here's the link to Google TV

http://www.google.com/tv/

Here's an Internet TV that uses Google TV.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... leTVSet_40

I noticed the prices are higher but not unreasonable. I have a feeling that this is where the catch is though.

Do I need to buy a subscription for Google TV?
No, you do not need an additional subscription to get Google TV functionality. Access to premium channels, websites and video-on-demand would need a subscription or payment to those content providers, just as they do now on your TV or PC.

I'm assuming this means paying for Netflix ,Vimeo plus, Hulu, etc?

Anyway, like I said just looking to access this forums knowledge base and thoughtful (always well reasoned) opinions.
Thanks in advance.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Google TV and streaming media centers

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi Jamal,

I revisit this idea from time to time. We pay over $180 usd to Comcast for their Triple-Play package which includes Internet, IP telephone and TV. I think the cost is outrageous and the wife says get a better package, if you can. So, I have been looking at this Internet TV but so far, I am underwhelmed.

My wife and I are not preoccupied with entertainment. We would gladly subscribe to a half-dozen channels, a la cart, and be quite happy. In fact, we would pay for the content to be ad-free. The way we get ad-free content now is to record via pvr/dvr and zoom through it. We do enjoy the high definition picture though and the HD Internet TV is not as wonderful as some say it is, at least what I have seen so far.

So, I just keep checking up on the technology from time to time. This segment of the industry seems to be immature yet.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ed » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:44 am

I would cancel cable today if I could get my sports teams over the free air. I stream Netflix now, but I think they will drastically raise the price for that in the near future because of the bandwidth involved.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Yes, I agree. At least the TV portion.

Since I am a Christian my desire for programming may be somewhat different. We are aware of people who go to the video store each day after work and exchange a pile of DVDs for the evening. My wife and I have "weaned" ourselves off the need to be constantly entertained.

There is an Internet-based TV network that has over 80 channels via a set top box (STB). They recently added 40 channels via web TV providing them world-wide distribution once again. Sky Angel used to be distributed via satellite but their transponder failed and they decided it cost too much and were one of first networks to go to the web. Trouble is they only give standard-definition 4:3 pictures! SD looks inferior on an HDTV and I don't like to waste the extra screen real estate on the sides of the picture. The full package which includes Fox News, Fox Business and some sports and movie channels costs only $24.95 a month. Much more reasonable.

This is closer to what I am looking for but I have always considered SD TV to be an inferior medium. 720p is finally good enough. I need HD. I need the ability to stream HD wirelessly to any TV set in the house - or watch on a PC - or tablet.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 am

We're paying a little less for an unbundled TV, Internet, Cable. around 140-150 cdn / month. We've been using a basic cable package that is good enough but supplement that with Netflix. There's a plenty of kids tv shows and a decent selection of movies to watch. We've been streaming netflix wireless through the new Wii that " the kids" got for Christmas.

Here's a review from engadget. There's also a video halfway down the page that provides a view into the interface. Fox is the only network in the US that's not blocking google TV. (as of the article in October) Also found out that Google TV won't be fully available in Canada for some time yet.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/29/google-tv-review/

Will continue watching and reading as well to see how or if it matures. Seems to me that it will hinge on Google being able to strike deals with the major networks in the US. http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-10-maj ... le-tv.html
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:28 pm

The Feb issue of Maximum PC has a comparison between the Boxee Box and the Logitech Review with Google TV service. The Review has better web tv/live tv integration according to the article. I remember seeing the Logitech Review last time I went to Costco and the website has it listed for $280 usd.

That same issue also has a full review of the Zotac Zbox HD which is a replacement for an HTPC. It has a Blu-ray combo drive and is described as the "ultimate steaming box." At $500 I think many of us could recycle an old PC and get a more responsive box although it wouldn't look near as stylish! Interesting - but too pricey.

This segment is still immature, IMO.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing