They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Patriot Box Purchase

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Re: Patriot Box Purchase

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:57 am

Thanks Ron. I thought that was it, but I was unsure of whether to use the DVD Video preset or the DVD ROM (ISO) format. As it turns out, as long as it properly structured, subfolder-wise, it is OK either way.

It played fine. The TV said it was 1080i (correct for my set, not P) and seemed to look OK. But Bob how can I tell the effectiveness of the upconvert? If it was not upconverting, would I see just a smaller image with black sidebars?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:10 am

Ron wrote:If you run into "copy protection" issues (commercial DVDs), then give AnyDVD (not free) a try - works a treat.

Or if you are using a 32 bit OS try DVD43 (free - but doesn't work on 64 bit OSs)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Ron » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:38 am

I don't think this box "upconverts" or transcodes anything. It's playing the native form. This is what I don't get? Why would it even need to upconvert? It's a HD Media Player.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Paul LS » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Bobby you could try to export as high definition MPEG2 rather than H.264 Should be faster to render... plus same format as your camcorder.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Ron wrote:I don't think this box "upconverts" or transcodes anything. It's playing the native form. This is what I don't get? Why would it even need to upconvert? It's a HD Media Player.

The question was originally Bob's, so maybe he will chime in, west coast time.

A standard definition DVD image it is 480p. So the files in VIDEO_TS are 480p. If actually write a physical DVD and put it in a regular DVD player (non-upconvert) it will send a 480p signal to the TV. But an upconvert player will convert that (by some unknown internal algorithm) to whatever you set as the requested output - 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc.

The question is: does the Box do the same? Does it generate the original 480p signal to its output, or does it convert it? When I tried playing either the ISO file or the DVD image files themselves, the output was 1080i (correct for my TV).
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Paul LS wrote:Bobby you could try to export as high definition MPEG2 rather than H.264 Should be faster to render... plus same format as your camcorder.

Thanks Paul - I will try that next.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Ron wrote:...I've decided against installing an internal drive (for now) for the fan issues. Makes the box nice and quiet otherwise...

Not sure about this Ron. The internal fan runs all the time the power is on, whether there is an internal drive installed or not. I would not think the drive itself would be louder than the fan, which by the way has been criticized. What am I missing?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:54 pm

There is upscaling and there is "upscaling". The box no doubt upsccles the video to fill the screen of the TV but I doubt if has special upscaling algorithms to give a near high definition type quality.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Bobby wrote:
Ron wrote:I don't think this box "upconverts" or transcodes anything. It's playing the native form. This is what I don't get? Why would it even need to upconvert? It's a HD Media Player.

The question was originally Bob's, so maybe he will chime in, west coast time.

A standard definition DVD image it is 480p. So the files in VIDEO_TS are 480p. If actually write a physical DVD and put it in a regular DVD player (non-upconvert) it will send a 480p signal to the TV. But an upconvert player will convert that (by some unknown internal algorithm) to whatever you set as the requested output - 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc.

The question is: does the Box do the same? Does it generate the original 480p signal to its output, or does it convert it? When I tried playing either the ISO file or the DVD image files themselves, the output was 1080i (correct for my TV).

I could be wrong, but if it's 480p, then it will be 480p on the TV (from this box). The settings for the box are merely what your TV is capable of, not an output. I'm fairly certain it's not upconverting Bobby & Bob.

Paul LS wrote:There is upscaling and there is "upscaling". The box no doubt upsccles the video to fill the screen of the TV but I doubt if has special upscaling algorithms to give a near high definition type quality.

That was my original synopsis.
Regards,
-Ron

Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ron » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Bobby wrote:
Ron wrote:...I've decided against installing an internal drive (for now) for the fan issues. Makes the box nice and quiet otherwise...

Not sure about this Ron. The internal fan runs all the time the power is on, whether there is an internal drive installed or not. I would not think the drive itself would be louder than the fan, which by the way has been criticized. What am I missing?

I disconnected the fan as I started to "hear" it - as it has been reported by others. The fan is not needed unless you install an internal drive.
Regards,
-Ron

Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:13 pm

What's your source on disconnecting the fan Ron?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Upconvert:

When I asked my TV what signal it was receiving during the time it was playing the DVD image, it said 1080i.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:39 pm

Bobby wrote:What's your source on disconnecting the fan Ron?

http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showpo ... ostcount=4

Bobby wrote:Re: Upconvert:

When I asked my TV what signal it was receiving during the time it was playing the DVD image, it said 1080i.

Do you talk to your TV often, Bob? -- jk!!

Were you pressing "TV System" on the PBO remote or can your TV provide this feedback for you? I couldn't find it for mine.
Regards,
-Ron

Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for the info on the fan - getting my screwdriver out right now.

Yes, the TV (Panasonic) has a button on the remote called Recall that displays the current signal information. And it is correct - I have tried it in other circumstances (i.e. when I was trying 720p for a while or when getting output from my old VHS deck, whcih is 480p).
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks Paul. The input files were 1440x1080 so I used the output MPEG2 preset for that. Cut the rendering time to 1/6 of the previous. I guess I will stay with that setting then - sure looked nice on the screen.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing