They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Graphic Card Recomendation

Hardware, software, and methods for displaying & distributing your creations.

Graphic Card Recomendation

Postby jiver » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:18 am

Hi,
Just bought Adobe Prem Elements 13 and would like to know which is the best graphic card for video editing. Been looking at PNY Nvidia
Quadro K620 or should I invest in a Geforce GTX model!
At the moment I have a Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE Graphics card and when I play back on timeline or in preview mode the video is a little jerky. Running Windows 8.1 on a AMD Athlon 64 x 2 4200 processor with 6 gb of Ram.
jiver
New User
New User

Re: Graphic Card Recomendation

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:36 am

I'm no expert, but I think jerky playback while still in the program is normal. Once saved or uploaded to Vimeo or YouTube, the video should look much better.

Oh, and rendering your footage will make your in program playback look better too. You can tell you need to render if you have an orange, horizontal stripe over your video timeline.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:30 pm

The CPU speed is more important than the graphics card for Premiere Elements. I doubt that a new graphics card will improve the performance. :(
Peru

Postby jiver » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi thanks for the reply, even after its rendered its still not smooth, maybe I will have to live with it until I upgrade my PC.
I have a Sony Vaio laptop with Adobe Prem Elements 9 installed and I must admit with an i7 cpu it is very smooth on playback.
Looks like I shall have to spend some brass and upgrade my PC or even buy a new one. :ha:
jiver
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:50 pm

When you say "rendered" do you mean you're not seeing smooth play after you render your timeline or you're not seeing smooth play after you Publish & Share your video?

According to this benchmark chart, the AMD Athlon 64 x 2 4200 is a rather low-end processor.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/midlow_range_cpus.html

I usually recommend a benchmark score of at least 6000 for smooth high-def video editing. Your processor clocks in at under 1300. So that certainly could be part of the problem. But you should still be able to do some basic editing.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is it?

What are your project settings (as listed under the Premiere Elements Edit menu)?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jiver » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:21 am

Hi Steve, When I render it is just when I add a new title or transition, there are no orange or yellow lines on my timeline so I assume that I have got my project settings correct in Prem Elem 13. When I publish and share to a disc the output quality is good and smooth. The camera I am using is a Panasonic HC-X900 and using the settings for recording are AVCHD PAL 1080/50i (HA) and the Prem Elements 13 project settings are PAL Full HD 1080i 25 (not the PAL AVCHD 1080p50).
The audio quality is good when I play the timeline and in the preview window I use for editing my clips, its just the video that's not smooth as I would like to achieve better edits, although I can live with it at the moment it just takes longer to edit. So my initial thoughts were to upgrade my graphic card to a Nvidia Quadro or a Nvidia Geforce GTX and see if that makes any difference. Adobe do recommend my cpu in their approved list although I must admit its not as good as the new Intel i7's. I have a laptop with a i7 installed and with Adobe Prem Elements 9 and that works great the video is very smooth. But I do prefer to do my editing on my desktop PC, so maybe I will need to upgrade my desktop PC at some stage if I can't find a solution to the video not running smoothly while editing.
Question? should I purchase a new graphic card and see if there is any improvement or wait and buy a new Desktop PC with Intel i7 cpu.
Question? which graphic cards are best for editing with Adobe Prem Elements 13, Quadro or Geforce GTX.
Regards
:meet:
jiver
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:21 am

If, in Expert View, you're not seeing any red or orange lines above the video on your timeline, then there's nothing more the software can do to improve your playback performance. Though I am surprised you playback is not as smooth as it should be. Premiere Elements 13 handles AVCHD footage very efficiently.

That said, adding more RAM or a new graphics card won't improve things. You'll probably need a new computer -- one that includes one of the processors listed on this page.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

As I've said, I recommend a processor that scores at least a 6000 (which most off-the-shelf quad-core i5s can do, and they aren't terribly expensive).
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Adding RAM or changing the graphics card is unlikely to make any difference. Your present video card is entirely adequate for use with Premiere Elements. Save your money and use it towards a faster computer.

The most likely cause of jerky video in Premiere Elements is an underpowered CPU. AVCHD video is very highly compressed and requires a significant amount of cpu resourses to decompress for editing. Decompression is done on-the-fly while preview/playback is occurring. If the cpu is not fast enough to decode the video while playing at the video's frame rate, Premiere Elements will need to drop frames or pause momentarily while the cpu catches up. The result is jerky video. This only affects preview/playback in Premiere Elements -- the exported video will be fine.

The AMD Athlon 64 x 2 4200 is a dual core processor. We recommend a quad core processor for use with editing AVCHD video. Your current motherboard uses socket 939 for the cpu. That socket was discontinued over eight years ago. CPUs that work with that socket are no longer being made. You might find a slightly faster socket 939 cpu on the used market. But, there were no quad core cpus made for that socket and it really isn't worth the effort to switch it out -- you'll probably still have jerky playback. Current technology cpus are far superior, especially Intel.

Premiere Elements does not currently use much, if any, video card GPU acceleration. When considering a new computer, pretty much any current video card will do. You definitely don't need a Quadro card. If you have other software that can benefit from gpu acceleration, one of the GeForce GTX or other mid-range cards would make sense.
Bob

Postby jiver » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi to all who have contributed to my initial post, I really do appreciate your input and feedback. Your experience and knowledge on these subjects is invaluable, keep up the fantastic work. Looks like I will be saving all my penny's for a new modern and fast desktop PC, maybe I will wait until the new Windows 10 operating system is released.
Regards
Jiver. :meet:
jiver
New User
New User

Return to Video/Photo/Music Viewing and Sharing